Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Henry Weinhard Private Reserve  (Read 8833 times)

wildknight

Henry Weinhard Private Reserve
« on: December 24, 2011, 09:34:27 am »
A close family friend of mine tells me stories of Henry Weinhard’s Private Reserve he enjoyed during the late 70’s and early 80’s.  He says it was the best beer he ever drank.  He is turning 60 next year, and I wanted to surprise him by making him a batch of this beer.   I have full temperature control over fermentation for making lagers, however, I have never tasted this beer.  I know that the original lager strain was brought to the USA, then Portland, likely from Stuttgart, Germany in the early 1850’s.  The beer showcased PNW hops (cascade and possibly Willamette) and pale malts.  Other than that, I have nothing else to go on to make this beer. 

Does anyone here remember this beer? If you do, would you offer me some tips and what to shoot for in terms of malt bill, hop schedule and yeast selection?

Is there another resource I can look into for this information?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Henry Weinhard Private Reserve
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 10:16:46 am »
I drank lots of it back in the day.  Nothing special.  Tried one again a couple years ago and it tasted like soap.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

wildknight

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 11:22:04 am »
What would be the closest style?  German pils?  Bohemian pils?  Maibock?  Was there a noticeable, citrus hop character?  

Will you be willing to put a guess to the malt bill, OG, FG, hop schedule and total IBU?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 11:24:53 am by Wild Knight »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 02:37:08 pm »
What would be the closest style?  German pils?  Bohemian pils?  Maibock?  Was there a noticeable, citrus hop character?  

Will you be willing to put a guess to the malt bill, OG, FG, hop schedule and total IBU?

I'd say the closest style would be an Am. premium lager...maybe Michelob or something like that.  I'd guess all (or mainly) pils malt, IBU maybe 20ish.  Absolutely no hop character, especially no citrus.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 02:48:20 pm »
i loved hank's when i lived in idaho, oregon and washington.  tried some a few years ago and like denny said it was not so good.  i think this is because it is not brewed by henry weinhards and is brewed by another company and likely a new recipe. 

try the root beer instead.

Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 02:51:58 pm »
i loved hank's when i lived in idaho, oregon and washington.  tried some a few years ago and like denny said it was not so good.  i think this is because it is not brewed by henry weinhards and is brewed by another company and likely a new recipe. 

Yeah, the root beer is some of the best I've ever tasted.

I don't think HWPR has changed as much as my tastes have.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 10:19:29 pm »

Yeah, the root beer is some of the best I've ever tasted.

I don't think HWPR has changed as much as my tastes have.
The one I tried made me want to avoid that brew forever. Sorry N.G.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 07:22:33 am »
I drank lots of it back in the day.  Nothing special.  Tried one again a couple years ago and it tasted like soap.
Maybe where you were in the late 70's there were better choices, but Special Reserve was a revelation to beer drinkers down here in the desert southwest.  It actually had flavor, was American so we didn't have to pay import prices, and was reasonably easy to find for a while.  I don't think I've even seen it down here for close to 30 years, but back in the day it was a real step in the right direction.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:18:33 pm »
HWPR is made by the Coors brewing company and like others have said it has gone down hill from the late 70s and 80s. Not to be a jerk but I would not give it to my dog now days but you can still buy it today. Back in the day it was a lot better. I would go with a dark premium lager ... Not sure about the hops it's been a long time and Coors uses there own hops that they designed them self and only they can get them.  ::)
People keep telling me it's not rocket science... I like rockets..

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 05:32:00 pm »
I would not give it to my dog now days
You did before?  Never give a dog beer.  Bad sharg.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 10:26:21 pm »
So I was at the spca thrift shop the other day and what did I find but a Henry Weinhard Private Reserve Beer tasting glass. It was $0.50 so I bought it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 10:44:52 pm »
So I was at the spca thrift shop the other day and what did I find but a Henry Weinhard Private Reserve Beer tasting glass. It was $0.50 so I bought it.
>>>>>>>1vert thinkin>>>>>>target ( O ) practice.....
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Blainethemono

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 06:24:01 pm »
The Henrys of today is NOTHING compared to the Blitz-Weinhard of the 60s and 70s. Crisp, Mildly Hoppy and a great tasting beer. The Henrys which were numbered, and I started @ bottling number 12, was decent, and a solid Lager.  Henrys of today just sucks, as do most good beers that get bought out by Mega corporations.

This old style beer deserves to be recreated.