Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Speidel  (Read 1320 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
New Speidel
« on: February 16, 2016, 01:06:52 pm »
Just got my first 30L Speidel fermenter and plan to put it use this weekend. Anything I need to know besides a solid cleaning and sanitizing before or during use? I know it has been discussed a lot, but my brew is planned to be 6G of 1.100 with 2 re-hydrated packs of 05. Is this big enough to work for this brew, I know its listed @ 30L and most have said it really has a total volume of more, just don't want a mess first time out of the gate. I will be filling it and marking so I know its actual volume, just very excited to get it home and put it to use
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: New Speidel
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 01:17:22 pm »
I do 6 gal all the time. Total volume clear full is 9 gal. Only once have I needed a blowoff. I use 1/2" silicon tube shoved in the airlock stopper, then replace with airlock once it calms down. Enjoy

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 02:16:23 pm »
I would definitely use a blowoff tube with such a high gravity wort. I've had mine blow out a few times with 1.100 beers, even with the extra volume of the 30L. See my attached picture. 6.5 gallons of 1.100 RIS even made a mess with a blowoff tube.  ;D Granted, I didn't have full temp control at that time, so that was part of the issue. Regardless, I love my Speidels and I'm sure you will love yours!

Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline 69franx

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 02:23:47 pm »
Thanks to both of you. Will have to pick up some 1/2" tubing. Just threw out 4 old pieces last week as I have not been fermenting in glass carboys lately and they were pretty old
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 02:26:35 pm »
Oh, and that mess is exactly what I want to avoid, thanks for the visual reminder
Frank L.