Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PH 101  (Read 3121 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
PH 101
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 09:25:51 am »
We'll probably not accurate bc of all the grain in my sample. It was a 1.036 or so Mild.

No, didn't do anything. In fact I checked this hours after the brew so didn't plan on adjusting.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: PH 101
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 09:26:27 am »
Most likely too low, but I dont know exactly what that does to your recipe, as I am not sure what you are brewing, grist, etc. really want to be between 5.2-5.6 for most, just a tenth off, not sure how big of a deal that is, again, depends on recipe and desired outcomes. As others have replied, pretty low
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 06:28:17 am »
Are people who use brun water and testing the ph finding it to be off a lot. My intention is to continue relying on brun water and not buying a ph meter and not pulling a Dixie cup of wort and testing it after calibrating the stupid ph meter then cleaning it and storing it in some goddamned storage solution then adjusting the ph and or taking notes. Sounds like something that I don't want to add to my brew day. My guess is the ph pretty much always comes out just fine and ph is something that is important but worried about too much.

I love this post!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 07:10:40 am »
We'll probably not accurate bc of all the grain in my sample. It was a 1.036 or so Mild.

No, didn't do anything. In fact I checked this hours after the brew so didn't plan on adjusting.

+1. If you had grain in your sample, then it definitely can read lower than expected. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 07:40:59 am »
Are people who use brun water and testing the ph finding it to be off a lot. My intention is to continue relying on brun water and not buying a ph meter and not pulling a Dixie cup of wort and testing it after calibrating the stupid ph meter then cleaning it and storing it in some goddamned storage solution then adjusting the ph and or taking notes. Sounds like something that I don't want to add to my brew day. My guess is the ph pretty much always comes out just fine and ph is something that is important but worried about too much.

I love this post!
I should note that the angry, curmudgeonly tone is mostly for fun. I think for many brewers using a ph meter is a great idea but I am actually thinking about making my brewing more intuitive and fun like my cooking. A lot of brewers have come from engineering/science/math backgrounds and have been very influential on the hobby and that's why you see an emphasis on precise measurements, experiments, and gadgets. It doesn't have to be that way. I was a History/English major and have a JD and have been a professional chef and kitchen manager most of my career so I tend to have a different view of brewing. I like the art of it and its connection to traditional rural life and the seasons. I now have enough experience and know my system, water, and ingredients well enough that I am going to start making beer without a lot of measuring and fussing. I'll measure water with the marks I made on my BK and the marks on my cooler MT. I know about how much base malt and specialty malt I need for beers I like to make, and I know what 6 pounds looks like and what 1/2 a pound looks like. I know most take a little gypsum and some a little baking soda. I don't need to know the gravity at any time. I know what beer that is finished fermenting looks and tastes like. I know about how much and which kind of hops I need for bittering and aroma. So my next few beers at least, and probably most of them from now on will get little measuring: mash temp, fermentation temp: not much else. Of course when trying something new I'll research, measure etc. I think it will be fun and I'll make good beer.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:43:23 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.