Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do I need separate equipment for "funky" beers?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
Do I need separate equipment for "funky" beers?
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:58:27 am »
I’m not sure if this is the right section to post this on.  I have seen varying opinions on this.  Can I use the same equipment for regular beers and “funky” beers?  I want to do my first beer with Lacto but I’ve read conflicting reports on sharing the equipment.  Will Star San/Saniclean kill Lacto or do I need to find another method to kill it or do I need to use separate equipment?   

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Do I need separate equipment for "funky" beers?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 12:31:34 pm »
You will get varied responses. Essentially, proper cleaning, sanitation and equipment maintenance should be enough. I personally would play it safe and use separate gear.

StarSan is of a sanitizer class that cannot kill yeast. Iodophor is better at killing yeast and mold. I use starsan, but have used iodophor from time to time.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 12:52:00 pm »
I have only done funky stuff a couple times and just was super careful about cleaning and sanitizing. There was no problem.
If I got into doing it regularly I would use separate equipment, at least plastic stuff like fermenters, racking can, auto siphon, tubing etc. I would have no worries about glass carboys, bottles etc except of course to clean and sanitize well. Also, no worries on the hot side.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 04:36:33 am »
You may be better off using separate plastic parts but glass and stainless you should be fine.