Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rubber grommet getting old durning fermentation  (Read 1577 times)

Offline spicyturnip

• 1st Kit
Rubber grommet getting old durning fermentation
« on: March 09, 2016, 06:32:06 am »
Im in the middle of the primary fermentation and i realize the rubber grommet on my fermentation bucket is a bit old and has some cracks in it. It seems to be sealing still for now but I bought new ones and I'm wondering if it's smarter to open it and replace it now, or wait till after, since it does seem to be sealing for now. Any advice?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Rubber grommet getting old durning fermentation
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:39:24 am »
I'd probably just wait until after you rack. But you could change it now if you're careful not to push the grommet all the way into the bucket.
Jon H.

Offline spicyturnip

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 08:32:04 am »
I'd probably just wait until after you rack. But you could change it now if you're careful not to push the grommet all the way into the bucket.
Will it ruin the cider (thats what im making) if I open ot once to switch the grommet?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 08:34:40 am »
Will it ruin the cider (thats what im making) if I open ot once to switch the grommet?

If it's still actively fermenting, the CO2 will purge the bucket once you put the lid back on. If it's past the point of active fermentation, I'd just wait.
Jon H.

Offline spicyturnip

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 08:36:04 am »

If it's still actively fermenting, the CO2 will purge the bucket once you put the lid back on. If it's past the point of active fermentation, I'd just wait.
Cool. Thanks so much. Its bubbling like crazy still so i guess thats my answer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 09:03:52 am »
If it's bubbling then it's holding a seal and there's no reason to change it out at this time.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline spicyturnip

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 09:05:17 am »
If it's bubbling then it's holding a seal and there's no reason to change it out at this time.
Im kust afraid it will start leaking air and i wont see until its too late.