Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Walmart Clearance: 2 gal Coleman Stacker  (Read 5572 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Walmart Clearance: 2 gal Coleman Stacker
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 12:31:49 pm »
I ordered this piece from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00420WMUU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 - and was able to put everything together (no leakes) with a modified bazooka screen and a gear clamp.

RPIScotty

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 02:16:39 pm »
Looks good!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 02:48:08 pm »
I was going to jump on this, but I think it's too small for my needs. I want a cooler than can do 2.5 gallons with about 1.070 being the maximum og, for this I'd need 3 gallon minimum.

RPIScotty

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 06:19:34 am »

I was going to jump on this, but I think it's too small for my needs. I want a cooler than can do 2.5 gallons with about 1.070 being the maximum og, for this I'd need 3 gallon minimum.

I hear you Steve. I'm typically doing between .625 and 1.5 gallons using this. I can run the gamut of big and small beers with that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 06:58:24 am »

I bought a 5 gallon water cooler (Igloo) for 2.5G batches (3G into fermenter). I like that the smaller physical size makes it much easier to handle and clean.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 07:15:02 am »
Brewing those small batches happen so quick it's amazing! Heat up a gallon of strike water... takes only a few minutes.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 07:26:24 am »
Brewing those small batches happen so quick it's amazing! Heat up a gallon of strike water... takes only a few minutes.

I'm brewing an extract batch right now. I did the 12 gallon batches on back porch for years. This is the only way I'll ever be able to get back into homebrewing again. It's a lot of fun, even ust doing the extract kit. And brings back loads of memories.

Also, so much easier to handle 1 gallon over moving 5 gallons. Spend less for ingredients. Easier to build water from scratch with distilled water. I can see this becoming addictive again.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:32:07 am by majorvices »

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 07:33:21 am »
Extract is great hiatus-breaker! Especially when one needs to get the fermenters filled pronto. Get's the appetite up for a big grain batch. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 07:35:11 am »
Extract is great hiatus-breaker! Especially when one needs to get the fermenters filled pronto. Get's the appetite up for a big grain batch. ;D
Indeed! If it weren't for extract, I'd have nothing but empty kegs right now. It definitely helps keep you going when you're tight on time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

RPIScotty

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 07:42:49 am »

I've done a few 5/8 gal batches that were done in an instant. Throw that little mash tun on the counter, mash in before dinner, boil and into fermentor after the kids go down!

Less than 2 hours!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 07:19:15 pm »
Anyone else undershoot their strike temp using these? I was targeting 158F today and ended up at 152F. I'm not sure if it's an issue with my calculator or whether it's the cooler.
Eric B.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 07:27:05 pm »
Were you using tastybrew?

RPIScotty

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 07:36:55 pm »
I've never had any issues.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2016, 10:45:35 am »
I was using the Brewer's Friend calculator. I'll play with some others before my next brew to see what the issue is.
Eric B.

RPIScotty

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 10:53:08 am »

I was using the Brewer's Friend calculator. I'll play with some others before my next brew to see what the issue is.

I'm brewing this weekend and doing a 90 minute mash. I'll let you know my ΔT values.