Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Walmart Clearance: 2 gal Coleman Stacker  (Read 5525 times)

RPIScotty

Re: Walmart Clearance: 2 gal Coleman Stacker
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2016, 02:21:05 pm »

Anyone else undershoot their strike temp using these? I was targeting 158F today and ended up at 152F. I'm not sure if it's an issue with my calculator or whether it's the cooler.

Eric, I lost < 2 °F over 75 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2016, 09:41:05 pm »

Anyone else undershoot their strike temp using these? I was targeting 158F today and ended up at 152F. I'm not sure if it's an issue with my calculator or whether it's the cooler.

Thanks for the info
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 04:20:46 pm »

I too did not lose heat with my 2-gal cooler but I also took precautions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kgs/3378140705/in/album-72157615665837325/

Thanks for the info
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 04:43:47 pm »
That works.

I often throw a sleeping bag over my 70qt.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 05:13:12 pm »
I often throw a sleeping bag over my 70qt.

Same here.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 05:43:26 pm »
I tried something a bit different this time around.

I filled the mash tun with the hottest water I could get out of my tap and let it sit while I prepped and heated strike water.

After my strike water came to temp I dumped and refilled and let sit covered for a minute while I got the rest of my stuff ready.

My temp was steady at 148.7 °F and I ended (after 75 min) at 147.2 °F. Not bad.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 07:04:43 pm »

I filled the mash tun with the hottest water I could get out of my tap and let it sit while I prepped and heated strike water.

After my strike water came to temp I dumped and refilled and let sit covered for a minute while I got the rest of my stuff ready.

I used to preheat my mash tun prior to doughing in with extra hot water.  Now I just make sure it is out of my cold garage (during the winter) the night before I mash in with no issues hitting my mash temps.  I do set my strike water a degree or two higher to account for this consistently though according to Palmers calcs. One less step, and less work for me = yay!  ;D

RPIScotty

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 06:08:47 am »

I used to preheat my mash tun prior to doughing in with extra hot water.  Now I just make sure it is out of my cold garage (during the winter) the night before I mash in with no issues hitting my mash temps.  I do set my strike water a degree or two higher to account for this consistently though according to Palmers calcs. One less step, and less work for me = yay!  ;D

It made sense for me to do what I did because it didn't really add any time to day and was extra insurance.

Gotta love those Palmer calcs!

If have to dig to find it but there was a great post on HBT from a guy with a pretty heavy thermodynamics background where he broke down the derivation of the equation and showed where Palmer simplified it. It was very interesting to read.

RPIScotty

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 06:33:31 am »
I will say this: I need to modify my hose braid setup. I had a real issue with it closing up on me. I think I need to make it longer so it sits on the bottom of the cooler.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 06:35:10 am »
I used to preheat my mash tun prior to doughing in with extra hot water.  Now I just make sure it is out of my cold garage (during the winter) the night before I mash in with no issues hitting my mash temps.

Same here. I bring in the cooler a day or two before brewing and leave the lid open . Makes my strike water differential pretty much the same all year round.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

Walmart Clearance: 2 gal Coleman Stacker
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 05:29:26 am »
I may have to go back to my tee off the outlet and a circular hose braid around the interior circumference of the cooler.

I initially shortened it because why have a long circular braid that doesn't benefit the draining of the mash. Turns out a benefit of a circular braid setup given the small size of the cooler is I can stir unobstructed.

Also, per Denny's mash/sparge video thread and the Red X color thread, I'll be trying a length of hose on the outlet from now on.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:31:03 am by RPIScotty »