Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: W-34/70 Fermentation Temp exBEERiment  (Read 17845 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
W-34/70 Fermentation Temp exBEERiment
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:17:55 pm »
I noticed that Marshall hasn't been cross-posting new xBmt's here as often, so I went over to Brulosophy to see if anything interesting was posted, when this result really caught my eye:

http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fermentation-temperature-pt-4-lager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/

Summary - a split batch of Pils was fermented with 34/70 at either 50F or 70F. The results were that A) there weren't enough correct tasters to achieve a significant result (although it was close) and B) of the 12 tasters who did identify the correct sample, 10 of them preferred the one that was brewed at warm temps.

I've been fermenting 34/70 at ambient temps in my basement in the winter, but I might be tempted to push that into the spring and fall now. I also feel validated in recommending 34/70 at warm temps over an ale yeast to all the brewers who keep asking about brewing a "Mocktoberfest" every September. This certainly removes several barriers for new brewers who want to brew lagers - you can use dry yeast, and you can ferment at ale temps. If someone can produce a good ale, there's no reason they can't produce a good lager.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: W-34/70 Fermentation Temp exBEERiment
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:31:19 pm »
I thought this one was very applicable to me. I have only used 34/70 for lagers up to this point and was cosidering doing some of the recipes with us05 in the summer just to do clean ale versions. Now I plan to push 34/70 a little higher with less worry. I do have limited temp control but no chest freezer.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:38:43 pm »
I also find this experiment very interesting. I plan to try 34/70 at ale temps. 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 10:25:17 pm »
Maybe the drama over the "helle-ish" kits pushed him away. God help us if he markets a Pils kit with 34/70 at 70°.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 04:56:10 am »
Maybe the drama over the "helle-ish" kits pushed him away. God help us if he markets a Pils kit with 34/70 at 70°.
I actually hope he does that and enters that and the helles with kolsch yeast in NHC and wins COTY.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:29:27 am »
It's pretty well known that 34/70 (WY2124) works at that kind of temp so there was no surprise for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 10:10:33 am »
It's pretty well known that 34/70 (WY2124) works at that kind of temp so there was no surprise for me.
Not a huge surprise for me, but 70F is definitely higher than I'd ever tried or recommended with this yeast. And I've always hedged my bets saying it would be passably close at those temps. The results here are more like "undetectable, if not better" rather than "passable" at ale temps.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:19:30 am »
Not a huge surprise for me, but 70F is definitely higher than I'd ever tried or recommended with this yeast. And I've always hedged my bets saying it would be passably close at those temps. The results here are more like "undetectable, if not better" rather than "passable" at ale temps.

Yeah, I've had good luck with it staying fairly clean up to 60F back when I used tubs and frozen bottles. Wouldn't have wanted to go much warmer necessarily. Interesting.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:38:01 am »
I had it get up to 80 once and while I didn't care for the results and dumped the beer I was surprised at how clean it was.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 11:56:37 am »
I had it get up to 80 once and while I didn't care for the results and dumped the beer I was surprised at how clean it was.

Nice.  If it was still pretty clean, then what made you decide to dump it?

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 02:15:21 pm »
I love the brulosophy temp experiments, but this one needs repeating. Marshall raised the temperature of the cold-fermented batch to same temp as the other batch when gravity had fallen from 1053 to 1032. Apparent attenuation 40%, actual attenuation 32%. The "cold-fermented" lager was actually mostly fermented warm, so of course it tasted just the same as the other. In the previous two lager temperature experiments the temp was also ramped up prematurely.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 02:54:05 pm »
I love the brulosophy temp experiments, but this one needs repeating. Marshall raised the temperature of the cold-fermented batch to same temp as the other batch when gravity had fallen from 1053 to 1032. Apparent attenuation 40%, actual attenuation 32%. The "cold-fermented" lager was actually mostly fermented warm, so of course it tasted just the same as the other. In the previous two lager temperature experiments the temp was also ramped up prematurely.

FWIW, I think he was just using his normal lager fermentation schedule for the 'cold fermented' batch.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 04:10:00 pm »

FWIW, I think he was just using his normal lager fermentation schedule for the 'cold fermented' batch.

Yes, but it's not a typical fermentation schedule for lager. Most people warm up at the end for a diacetyl rest, not halfway through. Both lagers were fermented mostly warm. Arguably what the experiment shows isn't that temperature doesn't matter but that the fast fermentation schedule doesn't work.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 04:18:56 pm »
Yes, but it's not a typical fermentation schedule for lager. Most people warm up at the end for a diacetyl rest, not halfway through.

Not so. Marshall is a proponent, as are many lager brewers now, of raising temp to ~ 65F after the beer has reached around 50-60% attenuation. By day 5 (for most lagers) the ester profile is set and you can raise temp to speed up fermentation and spur the yeast to get rid of diacetyl quicker. That's what he did here.

http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

Jon H.

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 04:25:27 pm »
Yes, but it's not a typical fermentation schedule for lager. Most people warm up at the end for a diacetyl rest, not halfway through.

Not so. Marshall is a proponent, as are many lager brewers now, of raising temp to ~ 65F after the beer has reached around 50-60% attenuation. By day 5 (for most lagers) the ester profile is set and you can raise temp to speed up fermentation and spur the yeast to get rid of diacetyl quicker. That's what he did here.

http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

Has it been tested experimentally vs proper cold ferment?