Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lazy Ciderery  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Lazy Ciderery
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:01:45 am »
Paid $10 for a bomber of this cider and at the bottom was a nasty booger of yeast. Contacted the place and they replied that they do not filter and bottle condition. I think it's just laziness or trying to push product out before allowing the yeast to floc.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:04:37 am by Stevie »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Lazy Ciderery
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 04:32:14 am »
If bottle conditioning with natural carbonation, you're always going to see some of that.  Now, if Americans would simply discontinue our stupid expectation of having to have every cider in the universe carbonated, and just get used to drinking cider flat, then this problem would not need to exist.  I drink my homemade ciders flat mostly.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 04:34:15 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 07:56:10 am »
If bottle conditioning with natural carbonation, you're always going to see some of that.  Now, if Americans would simply discontinue our stupid expectation of having to have every cider in the universe carbonated, and just get used to drinking cider flat, then this problem would not need to exist.  I drink my homemade ciders flat mostly.

Cheers.

I like mine nearly flat (or flat) too, Dave.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 09:08:17 am »
I understand that some dregs are normal, but this is too much for how much this bottle cost. It plopped out with a noticeable sound.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 09:17:38 am »
If I understand it correctly, American cider was historically consumed still.

Was that $10 for a half-gallon?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 09:23:30 am »
$10 bomber

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 09:55:37 am »
$10 bomber

Ach!

Last month I made 2.5 gallons with frozen apple juice concentrate. Turned out better than expected for under $15. Primed with more concentrate and cold-conditioning in... bombers and quart bottles! ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline PrettyBeard

• Cellarman
  • A short sturdy creature fond of drink and industry
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 02:53:46 pm »
I've noticed a lack of flocculation in ciders I've made with Belgian yeasts.  I've also seen a rise in unfiltered ciders on shelfs.  That said the bottle should warn you if there is likely to be a fair amount of sediment.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 03:08:06 pm »

I've noticed a lack of flocculation in ciders I've made with Belgian yeasts.  I've also seen a rise in unfiltered ciders on shelfs.  That said the bottle should warn you if there is likely to be a fair amount of sediment.
Just noticed a small (smaller than a dime) warning telling the drinker to shake lightly before pouring. It still doesn't sit right with me and I don't want to drink that much yeast.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 03:12:10 pm »

Just noticed a small (smaller than a dime) warning telling the drinker to shake lightly before pouring. It still doesn't sit right with me and I don't want to drink that much yeast.

Me either. That's crazy. Yeast in suspension does nothing to make cider (or most beers) taste better. I'll pass.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 04:39:03 pm »

Me either. That's crazy. Yeast in suspension does nothing to make cider (or most beers) taste better. I'll pass.

Might be the developing trend/meme marketed to Millennials as unfiltered cider with yeast is more natural and organic.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 04:45:08 pm »

Might be the developing trend/meme marketed to Millennials as unfiltered cider with yeast is more natural and organic.

Could be I guess. "More natural, organic, and sh*ttier tasting".   ;)
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

Lazy Ciderery
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 05:01:04 pm »
Probiotic?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 05:19:59 pm »
Probiotic?

Fresh beer and and brown rice= flatulence.