Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Suggest an experiment!  (Read 8543 times)

Rookie

Re: Suggest an experiment!
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2016, 03:19:18 pm »
I like Notty in a brown ale but is one of the last yeasts that I'd consider for a pseudo lager.
I think you'd be surprised. I use Nottingham more than any other strain and it ferments fine down to 54 Fahrenheit and gives superclean beer. I think it's perceived as a very British style yeast among US brewers, but over here it's regarded as very clean. It's also popular as a kolsch yeast on German homebrew sites such as http://maischemalzundmehr.de/
The recommended fermentation temperature range of this strain is 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) with good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures (12°C/54°F) that allow this strain to be used in lager-style beer."

Perhaps I spoke out of turn as I've only ever used Notty in brown ale. Fermenting in the mid 50s would probably make a pretty clean beer.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2016, 03:41:10 pm »
I like Notty in a brown ale but is one of the last yeasts that I'd consider for a pseudo lager.
I think you'd be surprised. I use Nottingham more than any other strain and it ferments fine down to 54 Fahrenheit and gives superclean beer. I think it's perceived as a very British style yeast among US brewers, but over here it's regarded as very clean. It's also popular as a kolsch yeast on German homebrew sites such as http://maischemalzundmehr.de/
The recommended fermentation temperature range of this strain is 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) with good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures (12°C/54°F) that allow this strain to be used in lager-style beer."

Perhaps I spoke out of turn as I've only ever used Notty in brown ale. Fermenting in the mid 50s would probably make a pretty clean beer.

I'm not sure how this got posted under Rookie instead of my actual name. That'll teach me to mess around with stuff I don't know about.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 10:31:26 pm »
I apologize if someone already suggested it, but my suggestion is dry hop in primary/on the yeast vs in secondary (off the yeast). The key is to keep all other variables the same (length of time, temperature, vessel). For example, dry hopping at ambient in primary is not an apples to apples comparison with cold keg hopping.

Maybe a series of dry hopping experiments (temperature, time, on yeast or no, multiple vs single additions, etc.) would be in order. That would help identify which variables really make a difference and which don't.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2016, 09:04:19 pm »
My club is going to do a blind tasting of 3 different styles of beers with water treatment and without. Does anyone have a good link to info on how to properly do a triangle test?
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2016, 09:56:48 pm »
Triangle test is dead simple. Three pours, one is different, ask the tasters to pick the odd one out. Now the statistical stuff is mostly lost on me, but that's the basic procedure.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2016, 10:03:44 pm »
One I have always wondered: efficiency of adding sugar into mash as opposed to at boil. Would save time adding it to mash so that it is already dissolved when in BK and don't have to bring back to a boil.
Piggy backing on this is to also test adding sugar into primary (various time such as beginning, pre-high krausen, at high krausen, post krausen, post krausen fall)
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2016, 12:31:45 am »
The probability that changing one parameter in a beer experiment leads to a measurable taste difference is very low.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2016, 10:31:41 am »
The probability that changing one parameter in a beer experiment leads to a measurable taste difference is very low.

Good observation. I feel that many of the Brulosophy Exbeeriments are bearing this out on a regular basis.

I think if someone had the stats chops for it, some multivariate analysis would be cool to look at making a set of beers with several variables changing to see if there is any significant variance (principle component analysis could do this) amongst a set of, say, ten beers. For example, it might be that foregoing temp control along with pitching a single tube of yeast in combination with no dry/late hops might be enormously varied compared to the mean. This would be a huge undertaking though, both for the brewer, tester and the stats person...

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2016, 01:46:17 pm »
My club is going to do a blind tasting of 3 different styles of beers with water treatment and without. Does anyone have a good link to info on how to properly do a triangle test?

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/about_triangle_testing
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2016, 10:40:49 pm »
Sorry if mentioned.  Adding pure o2 to wort vs none

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2016, 10:38:24 am »
Could also have been suggested, but in re-reading the various keg purging threads, another experiment could be splitting a ten-gallon batch of hoppy beer three ways and then racking to a non-purged keg, an unpressurized keg purged with N CO2, and a pressurized, purged keg. (You would need to define "purged" pretty clearly.) This experiment would benefit from replication using the same recipe and kegs of the same size.

Or you could do this instead as qualitative research and ask the kegs how they feel about being purged, and to share their purging experiences, then interview the beer as well. "Go on, share more." "That's interesting. Can you tell me more about that?"
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2016, 01:09:40 pm »
Or you could do this instead as qualitative research and ask the kegs how they feel about being purged, and to share their purging experiences, then interview the beer as well. "Go on, share more." "That's interesting. Can you tell me more about that?"

God, I would SO love to do that!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2016, 04:33:56 pm »
My kegs all think the blotches just look like blotches and that a cigar is just a cigar.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2016, 09:57:08 pm »
I too would be interested in little or no aeration before pitching vs. pure oxygen or aerating a ton
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2016, 11:18:35 pm »

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/about_triangle_testing

Thanks Drew
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you