Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dogfishead 90 minute IPA Clone  (Read 1460 times)

Offline bigbeerhunter

• 1st Kit
Dogfishead 90 minute IPA Clone
« on: February 20, 2016, 04:56:11 pm »
I am a beginner in the world of home brewing (about 1 year) and wanted to try my hand at all grain brewing. After several attempts and failures I have been starting to hit my OG on a regular basis.

However, tried the 90 minute IPA and missed the OG by 0.015. I'm at 0.071. I warmed my mash tun with hot water to not lower the mash temp. Recipe called for 148 at 75 min. It seemed a bit low for me, but I gave it a shot. The temp only got to 144 with 5.5 gals. I added another 1 or 1.5 to get it to 148 after about 15 minutes. I let it mash for 15 extra minutes. I sparged with only 2 gallons of water at 168.

Does any one know if I missed in the beginning and just never recovered.

Can I add DME. I already pitched my yeast (made a starter). Will the lower OG affect the beer or just the ABV.

tasted pretty good.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

I am going to try a Wee Heavy next and don't want to make another mistake with the OG of a high gravity beer.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Dogfishead 90 minute IPA Clone
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:39:10 pm »
Extraction efficiency normally goes down as OG goes up.  (The physics involved when dissolving sugar in water plays big in this effect).

You can add DME, though you would want to boil it first.  Take the additional water into account too.  Note that this will lower the IBUs.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:25:29 am »
I think your will be fine. It should finish pretty low. One think to consider is your freakin crush. I basically pulverize mine. Another factor is your mash pH. Also, like mentioned above, your efficiency will drop as your big gets bigger. In my system, anything under 1.075 I can assume 75%. When I get up into the 1.080 range, I have to start adjusting it to 72-70%.

Another concern is your mash temp. There's nothing wrong with 148 mash, but I usually hold that back for big beers. You would have been fine with 150-152 for your IPA. But that's not the concern. You missed your target by four degrees. I need to have my strike temp at 15-16 degrees over the target mash temp. This is with the mash tun and grains at room temperature. If your grains are cold from being stored in the garage, more energy will need to be used to hear your grains, therefore losing heat. Thermodynamics is crazy like that. It's easier to overshoot your target mash temp and add a few ice cubes to cool it down.
Frank

Offline Don Amedo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 03:03:12 pm »
Also, preheat your mashtun with hot water prior to dumping in your strikewater and grain to help with not lowering your mash temp.