Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: APA  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: APA
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 03:01:38 pm »

Won't fwh bittering be the same IBU contribution as full boil addition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testing I've done shows about a 10% increase in IBU.  But many people, including myself, think it tastes less bitter than a 60 min. addition, even though it measures higher.

Yeah I think Beeralchemy shows it as the same. However OP indicates he's treating it like a 20 min addition. BA is showing using Tinseth changing a 60 min addition to 20 mins is a 40% reduction in IBU, so that pretty dramatic.

I used to calculate FWH as 20 minute additions but now just leave them equal to 60 minute additions. This has helped me to meet my expectations.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 03:05:57 pm »

Won't fwh bittering be the same IBU contribution as full boil addition?

Testing I've done shows about a 10% increase in IBU.  But many people, including myself, think it tastes less bitter than a 60 min. addition, even though it measures higher.

Yeah I think Beeralchemy shows it as the same. However OP indicates he's treating it like a 20 min addition. BA is showing using Tinseth changing a 60 min addition to 20 mins is a 40% reduction in IBU, so that pretty dramatic.

I treat it as a 20 min. addition also because that's what it tastes like to me.  Since I drink my beer, not measure it, that's what's important to me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 03:46:04 pm »
I found the biggest difference between 60min and FWH in my helles. I might agree with Denny on it having similar perceived bitterness to a later boil addition, maybe 30-20 min, but not the same flavor. In a really delicate beer, compare a small 60 min bittering to the same amount at FWH. To me the FWH will be a smoother bitterness with a little less flavor, or more rounded flavor. Less aroma too. If you dont think early boil hops contribute aroma, try to eliminate hop aroma and you'll see that they do. But that another story

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 03:56:35 pm »
I found the biggest difference between 60min and FWH in my helles. I might agree with Denny on it having similar perceived bitterness to a later boil addition, maybe 30-20 min, but not the same flavor. In a really delicate beer, compare a small 60 min bittering to the same amount at FWH. To me the FWH will be a smoother bitterness with a little less flavor, or more rounded flavor. Less aroma too. If you dont think early boil hops contribute aroma, try to eliminate hop aroma and you'll see that they do. But that another story

That's the current experiment for the podcast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 06:18:37 pm »
FW hops have been at the top of my list of things to try now that I've moved on from BIAB. I've tried FWH with BIAB, and never really noticed much of a difference from 60 minute additions in both flavor and bitterness. Keep in mind though, with BIAB once you haul the bag out and add the FW hops you're very close to boiling.

For the first time with the cooler mash tun, I decided to try treating it as a 20 minute addition. There are enough folks on here I trust using this method, and if I don't like the results, I'll just adjust next time.

That being said, I'm considering swapping out the crystal for Saaz. Had an APA at the local brewpu today that was bittered with Saaz, then had c-hops for everything else. It was very good, and very drinkable for a 6% APA.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.