Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Experiments  (Read 3253 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Beer Experiments
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 10:15:14 am »
A single experiment with a small sample size is not going to produce a conclusive answer to anything. These experiments should really be thought of as trying to open up accepting dogma and encouraging people to think about how they brew and why they brew that way.

I agree

+2
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 06:56:14 am »
I went on the Igor site and added my experiment idea regarding aroma hopping. I'm curious to see what a relatively large group of beer fans would prefer. A hazy dry hopped APA/IPA or a brilliant one with perhaps slightly less aroma. It would be a two beer, side by side, with the question being "which do you prefer?"

The two beers would be identical but for aroma hopping. One would get X amount of dry hops at FG for 4 days, then no fining. The other would get that X amount of hops at a 120F whirlpool for 15 min, then at FG it gets crashed and gell fined.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Beer Experiments
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 02:10:50 pm »
How about comparing pitch rates?  You could compare results of pitching 5g dry yeast to 10g (or something similar).  I suggest dry yeast because you can weigh it to quantity the pitch rate.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:18:39 pm by alestateyall »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 02:38:42 pm »
I appreciate all the suggestions, but we're gonna make ya work harder...suggest a hypothesis so we know what you want to find out!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 02:42:22 pm »
Ramping up the temperature at the end of fermentation has NO detectable effect on the taste of beer.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 02:47:18 pm »
Ramping up the temperature at the end of fermentation has NO detectable effect on the taste of beer.

Yeah, like that!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 04:03:46 pm »
pitching a single pack of fresh white labs pure pitch ale yeast (less than 4weeks) has no detectable negative effects in an average OG beer of 1.060 or less..e.g. off flavors from yeast stress.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 04:26:38 pm »
You know what I think would be interesting, taking a mythbusters approach to some of the more prevalent beliefs. Do an experiment, if no discernible difference, try to force a difference. Marshal, or one of his cohorts, did this with the 90min boil for Pils DMS. Obviously can't do this with all, but some would be interesting a doable.

Take Ken's pure pitch idea. If there is no difference, try a 1/4 package.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 07:33:24 pm »
You know what I think would be interesting, taking a mythbusters approach to some of the more prevalent beliefs. Do an experiment, if no discernible difference, try to force a difference. Marshal, or one of his cohorts, did this with the 90min boil for Pils DMS. Obviously can't do this with all, but some would be interesting a doable.

Take Ken's pure pitch idea. If there is no difference, try a 1/4 package.

i like where you are going Steve.  push the seemingly obvious and prove it right or wrong.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: