Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mild Carbonation  (Read 1300 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Mild Carbonation
« on: March 01, 2016, 04:29:10 pm »
For those of you who have made/make Milds...what are you typically carbonating at? I have one now that just wrapped up and I am carbonating to 1.65 volumes or about 4 PSI in my case. A little bit of it is going to a local "competition" which isn't BJCP or anything.

I'm more interested in enjoying the beer at home. How would a Mild taste that has a higher PSI? Do you prefer your Milds with more carbonation than the BJCP guidelines?

Cheers!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Mild Carbonation
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 04:33:09 pm »
For those of you who have made/make Milds...what are you typically carbonating at? I have one now that just wrapped up and I am carbonating to 1.65 volumes or about 4 PSI in my case. A little bit of it is going to a local "competition" which isn't BJCP or anything.

I'm more interested in enjoying the beer at home. How would a Mild taste that has a higher PSI? Do you prefer your Milds with more carbonation than the BJCP guidelines?

Cheers!

Maybe 1.8 at most. Keep in mind you'll get dinged in a comp if it's carbed excessively. English bitter is very lightly carbed. I prefer it this way.
Jon H.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
Re: Mild Carbonation
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 04:36:54 pm »
Definitely on the low end for carbonation for all milds - too much carbonation takes away from the subtlety of the style. Also not serving it too cold is a good idea.