Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single hop columbus APA  (Read 2913 times)

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
Single hop columbus APA
« on: February 18, 2016, 05:49:04 am »
I have time to brew this weekend and looked to see what I had on hand to work with.  I am new to recipe formulation and want to do a few beers to learn about and perceive for myself how different hops and grains contribute to the various aspects of the finished product.  I really want to start out with a simple slate and build on it.  I have 10 lbs of Rahr 2 row, 1 lb each of crystal 40 and 80, 4 oz of columbus and plenty of s-05.  I am thinking of the 10 lb 2 row and 1/2 lb crystal 40 mashed at 152* for an hour.  The hop schedule I have planned is .5 oz FWH, .50z at 10 min, 1oz for 15 min whirlpool and 1 oz dryhop.  That puts me at about 43 IBUs according to beersmith.

The questions I have are: Should I add .25 of the crystal 80 to boost the color or leave the grist alone to get a feel for the rahr 2-row?  I am leaning towards no 80 but suggestions are welcome.

What about the hop schedule?  I want to get a good feel for the flavor/aroma of Columbus but I like a balanced APA and like I said previously, I want to be able to get a feel for the contributions from the 2-row.  I would be left with 1 oz of hops.  Keep it for another day or add it elsewhere (2 oz. dry hops).

I will also add that I will be playing with some new equipment - Pump and whirlpool arm so I really want to maintain some type of whirlpool addition.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Single hop columbus APA
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:27:17 am »
I have time to brew this weekend and looked to see what I had on hand to work with.  I am new to recipe formulation and want to do a few beers to learn about and perceive for myself how different hops and grains contribute to the various aspects of the finished product.  I really want to start out with a simple slate and build on it.  I have 10 lbs of Rahr 2 row, 1 lb each of crystal 40 and 80, 4 oz of columbus and plenty of s-05.  I am thinking of the 10 lb 2 row and 1/2 lb crystal 40 mashed at 152* for an hour.  The hop schedule I have planned is .5 oz FWH, .50z at 10 min, 1oz for 15 min whirlpool and 1 oz dryhop.  That puts me at about 43 IBUs according to beersmith.

The questions I have are: Should I add .25 of the crystal 80 to boost the color or leave the grist alone to get a feel for the rahr 2-row?  I am leaning towards no 80 but suggestions are welcome.

What about the hop schedule?  I want to get a good feel for the flavor/aroma of Columbus but I like a balanced APA and like I said previously, I want to be able to get a feel for the contributions from the 2-row.  I would be left with 1 oz of hops.  Keep it for another day or add it elsewhere (2 oz. dry hops).

I will also add that I will be playing with some new equipment - Pump and whirlpool arm so I really want to maintain some type of whirlpool addition.

Overall I like your recipe. I use 6-7% C40 in my APA but I think you're fine as is. Personally I wouldn't worry with the C80, you don't need to bump the color unless you just want to. I'd add the extra oz of hops to your dry hop total (giving you two). Sounds good !
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 03:47:44 pm »
Looks good. Last year my wife and I spent a few days at Lincoln City (OR) for my birthday. We went down the road a short drive to Rusty Truck brewing and got a growler of columbus IPA that was very good.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 03:55:47 pm »
Agreed with Hoosier. Use 2 oz of dry hop to help you get more of that dank colombus note.

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 05:40:26 am »
Does a finished water profile built on RO water of:
Ca 52.8 ppm
Mg 0
Na 8 ppm
Sulfate 45.2 ppm
Cl 63.1 ppm
acidified to 5.4 pH with lactic acid (mash water)

sound right?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 06:39:37 am »
Ca 52.8 ppm
Mg 0
Na 8 ppm
Sulfate 45.2 ppm
Cl 63.1 ppm

sound right?

5.4 pH is good.  I would bump up your sulfate levels if possible. Maybe to around 100-150ppm. If you need to, adding epsom salts can give you SO4 without adding Ca, if you desire this route.

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:57:30 pm »
Ca 52.8 ppm
Mg 0
Na 8 ppm
Sulfate 45.2 ppm
Cl 63.1 ppm

sound right?

5.4 pH is good.  I would bump up your sulfate levels if possible. Maybe to around 100-150ppm. If you need to, adding epsom salts can give you SO4 without adding Ca, if you desire this route.

I bumped the sulfates up to 76.1 with epsom salt.  One of my goals with this is to get a feel for the rhar 2 row as a base malt.  Am I correct in my thinking that the higher sulfate levels will emphasize the hops character more?  I guess I am thinking that a lower sulfate level will help me gain appreciation for the base malt and the columbus hops.  Does that sound reasonable?

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 09:30:34 pm »
Lower sulfates and higher chloride will help to accentuate the malt. Not sure of the ratio, but I do know sulfates for hops, chloride for malt. Main difference in Bru'NWater between dry and full/bitter and malty comes from the levels of these 2
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 07:08:43 am »
Lower sulfates and higher chloride will help to accentuate the malt. Not sure of the ratio, but I do know sulfates for hops, chloride for malt. Main difference in Bru'NWater between dry and full/bitter and malty comes from the levels of these 2

This is correct. After mentioning what you're looking for, your first water profile looks better. I would try to balance the sulfates and chloride. Columbus is a pretty abbrasive (in a great way) hop. It's going to shine through regardless. But as you get closer to a pale ale water profile with higher sulfates, that Columbus will punch you in the face and forget that you brewed the beer from grain lol. I don't think 76.1 ppm will get you quite to that level. Having them boh balanced around 65 ppm will give you a balanced character. The way you originally had it will get you a more malt forward character. It's all what you want in YOUR beer.
Frank

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 05:08:41 pm »
I am drinking this now and I must admit that I did not have any high expectations. This beer is dangerously drinkable and VERY GOOD!  I would brew it again just as is.  Only there are so many other hops to play with.  Thanks to all for the tips!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 05:19:06 pm »
I am drinking this now and I must admit that I did not have any high expectations. This beer is dangerously drinkable and VERY GOOD!  I would brew it again just as is.  Only there are so many other hops to play with.  Thanks to all for the tips!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sounds great!
Jon H.