Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pale Ale hops - something different  (Read 4146 times)

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
Pale Ale hops - something different
« on: February 19, 2016, 06:39:03 am »
I'm just about to kick a keg of pale ale in which I used Centennial, Cascade, and Citra as my late/whirlpool/dry hops (horizon was my bittering hop).  It's a great brew and I'm happy with the malt bill, but would like to see how different I can make this brew taste with different hops.  What are your favorite hop combinations that don't use any of the above for a pale ale?

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
Re: Pale Ale hops - something different
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:07:46 am »
I like the combination of El Dorado and Lemon Drop. Apparently, that's the combo used in Stone's Delicious IPA.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:09:49 am »
I do something similar in that I keep my malt bill and yeast the same and just change out hops interchangeably from batch to batch although I always use cascade because I want that character consistent. What kind of hop character are you looking for?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:24:32 am »
What kind of hop character are you looking for?

Good question, I figured that was coming at some point!  Other than "different", I'd say "not piney"... bright, vibrant, citrus, floral.  40ish IBUs and a big big aroma.  Otherwise, I kind of just want to see what happens.  I did an IPA a ways back with a similar hop bill and the two brews just came out too similar.  I don't think I've ever used El Dorado or Lemon Drop, so I like where we're going with this.  Thanks!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 07:34:47 am »
Vic Secret, Meridian, Nelson Sauvin, Motueka, Enigma, HBC438, Kohatu and Caliente are all primarily fruit-forward hops that are different than the usual Cascade/Centennial/"C"-hop flavor, and aren't the mango-bomb that Citra usually is. All of them are worth playing with in any combination.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 07:44:36 am »
I have got to get my hands on some of that Vic Secret.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 07:52:33 am »
Mosaic and Azacca.  Excellent Pale ale.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 09:06:47 am »
Simcoe and Amarillo....I don't care for most of the new ultra tropical fruity ones.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:37:43 am »
Simcoe and Amarillo....I don't care for most of the new ultra tropical fruity ones.

This is pretty much my feeling which is why I have gone back to using Cascade in combination with other classics a lot

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 09:43:49 am »
Amarillo/Simcoe is always good. Azacca/Mt Hood or Azacca/Lemon Drop are nice in APA, too.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 09:47:10 am »
After having an IPA that was primarily hopped with Sterling recently, I want to give that a shot in an APA. I have been using it here and there and really like how versatile it is.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 11:54:48 am »
After having an IPA that was primarily hopped with Sterling recently, I want to give that a shot in an APA. I have been using it here and there and really like how versatile it is.
I love Sterling for the same reason. It's herbal/spicy noble-like at low-to moderate hopping rates, then starts to get some citrus as you push the rates higher. Motueka is another hop like that. It has noble character, but then also gives lime zest and lemongrass characters along with it. The thing is that neither is super oily, so they get lost when blended in with more typical IPA hops pretty easily.
Eric B.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 11:57:32 am »
I love Sterling for the same reason. It's herbal/spicy noble-like at low-to moderate hopping rates, then starts to get some citrus as you push the rates higher. Motueka is another hop like that. It has noble character, but then also gives lime zest and lemongrass characters along with it. The thing is that neither is super oily, so they get lost when blended in with more typical IPA hops pretty easily.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I should give Motueka a shot at some point. What AA% do you normally see it at? Maybe Sterling/Motueka APA
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:59:48 am by goschman »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 03:46:57 pm »
Simcoe and Amarillo.

Next on my schedule is a rebrew of an amber using simcoe, summit, and saphir. I'm thinking that they'd work well in an APA also.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:49:22 pm by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 04:49:26 pm »

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I should give Motueka a shot at some point. What AA% do you normally see it at? Maybe Sterling/Motueka APA
Motueka is usually around 7% AA. Combos great with Sterling. I use that combo a lot in my hoppy lagers.
Eric B.