Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: California Common idea  (Read 2723 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
California Common idea
« on: February 19, 2016, 08:46:54 am »
1.056/40ibus/12 gallon batch

93% Golden Promise
7% Crystal 40L or caramunich

Magnum for bittering
4oz Cascade at 10
4oz Cascade whirlpool at 180df for 30 min

California Lager yeast

I know these are not traditional ingredients - was trying to use the Golden Promise leftover from a recent wee heavy brew in a way that would highlight that malt (rather than cover it up like in an IPA or Porter or Stout).  Never really cared for the Northern Brewer hop in isolation. 

Thoughts?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: California Common idea
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 08:51:22 am »
Looks really good. I was never a fan of the Northern Brewer either (though I know it's traditional).
Jon H.

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:52:42 am »
Man, I love me a good steam, but for my tastes, it needs that woody/earthy hop character. 

I have gone in both directions on a cal common, at one end, Jamil's (lots of malt, including caramel/toast) and at one end, a beer with a grist like yours.  I like them both.  A lot.  But for me it needs NB's!

IIRC though, in Designing Great Beers, Ray Daniels mentions that cascades can be used in the style (?)  Intuitively, it seems like it would be more of an APA, if you like that flavor profile, brew on!  You will hopefully also get that ever-so-slight-and-awesome sulfur/mineral kick from SF Lager. 
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline blatz

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:54:49 am »
Man, I love me a good steam, but for my tastes, it needs that woody/earthy hop character. 

I have gone in both directions on a cal common, at one end, Jamil's (lots of malt, including caramel/toast) and at one end, a beer with a grist like yours.  I like them both.  A lot.  But for me it needs NB's!

IIRC though, in Designing Great Beers, Ray Daniels mentions that cascades can be used in the style (?)  Intuitively, it seems like it would be more of an APA, if you like that flavor profile, brew on!  You will hopefully also get that ever-so-slight-and-awesome sulfur/mineral kick from SF Lager.

I hear you.  that was what I was wondering - if it'll be just a pale ale and am I wasting my time with the SF Lager yeast, when I have plenty of 001 on hand at all times.

maybe I could split the NB and Cascade, or maybe Cascade and Willamette?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 08:57:18 am »
Technically it won't be a CA common, but who cares?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 09:03:51 am »
maybe I could split the NB and Cascade

I think that's the way I'd go. I've seen references over the years to Cascade in common (DGB, others) but I could see it coming off as APAish with Cascade only. A mix could be nice.
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 09:19:36 am »
Looks really good. I was never a fan of the Northern Brewer either (though I know it's traditional).

I used to think I wasn't a fan of Northern Brewer hop too, until I got my hands on some fresh Anchor Steam. I that classic has had a tendency to get passed over in bottle shops in recent years  and freshness has been an issue around Portland.  It's a "fresh" earthiness as opposed to an "oxidized" earthiness that I find really appealing.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 10:05:25 am »
I like it. A friend's house beer is a Common and I believe he splits NB and Cascade. His version is great.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 10:38:23 am »

I used to think I wasn't a fan of Northern Brewer hop too, until I got my hands on some fresh Anchor Steam. I that classic has had a tendency to get passed over in bottle shops in recent years  and freshness has been an issue around Portland.  It's a "fresh" earthiness as opposed to an "oxidized" earthiness that I find really appealing.

This.  I used to think I didn't like steams, then I had Anchor on draft.  I know they have their iconic bottles, etc., but they really need to start canning this beer for us East Coasters.  The oxidized ones in bottles taste like cardboard, and I now know them apart. 
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 01:00:03 pm »
I like the grain bill.  Should be pretty clean and simple. I would try a low level caramunich malt or maybe carastan in there instead of the classic C40 though.  Just to be different.

As for the hops I agree with the guys above. Split the final two additions between cascade and northern brewer.  You will get the best of both without one overpowering the other.  I will have to try that next time I brew one up. My last one I made was JZ's recipe and I did not care much for it.  Too malty with too much Northern brewer. Maybe I don't like Cal commons?   :)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 01:26:54 pm »

This.  I used to think I didn't like steams, then I had Anchor on draft.  I know they have their iconic bottles, etc., but they really need to start canning this beer for us East Coasters.  The oxidized ones in bottles taste like cardboard, and I now know them apart.
+3, I had avoided it for years and then had it fresh on tap and remembered what a great beer it is.

I think it would brewing it with Cascades would be interesting. I may try that soon, I've got some 2112 slurry in the fridge.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 02:28:09 pm »

+3, I had avoided it for years and then had it fresh on tap and remembered what a great beer it is.

I think it would brewing it with Cascades would be interesting. I may try that soon, I've got some 2112 slurry in the fridge.

Another fun little riff that this thread reminds me of... try making a "kolsch" using the 2112. Makes a darn good beer.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 02:41:12 pm »
Technically it won't be a CA common, but who cares?
After hearing Fritz describe it, I think Steam isnt technically a Ca Common LOL. Id call it the original APA.

Offline blatz

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 11:54:54 am »
I like the grain bill.  Should be pretty clean and simple. I would try a low level caramunich malt or maybe carastan in there instead of the classic C40 though.  Just to be different.

As for the hops I agree with the guys above. Split the final two additions between cascade and northern brewer.  You will get the best of both without one overpowering the other.  I will have to try that next time I brew one up. My last one I made was JZ's recipe and I did not care much for it.  Too malty with too much Northern brewer. Maybe I don't like Cal commons?   :)

yeah after deliberating and reading everyone's input, I think I am going to split the baby here - do cascade and NB.  I ordered a half # of NB (so I could still go full bore if needed) along with the yeast and some other tidbits I was out of.   morebeer didn't carry any Caramunich though which is a bummer, so regular C40 it will be.  Thanks for the input.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 12:41:50 pm »
I can assure you that NB and Cascade is a pretty nice combo. Even in dry-hopping.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks