Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting frustrated. Can you help?  (Read 2471 times)

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
Re: Getting frustrated. Can you help?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 06:42:04 am »
Couple other thoughts:

1.)  Where are you located?  Chances are there may be a home-brew club or some experienced home brewers in your area.  Some folks on here might even be able to suggest one.  There is just no substitute for having someone join you for a brew day and watch your process/ offer suggestions.  You can learn more from a good brewer in one brew session than you can from a year of your own mistakes.

2.) Cleaning - are you cleaning EVERYTHING post boil?  Are you taking auto siphons apart?  Taking spigots apart?  Taking kegs apart?  Cleaning tubing? These are the types of places where bugs hide and infect beer after beer.

3.) Reading, learning, watching videos, podcasts, message boards (one of the best sources in helping me learn a lot) ..... there is just so much information on home brewing today - take advantage of it

4.) And, as some others have mentioned - go with simple, basic recipes/kits to start with.  Get your process down with beers that don't have so much going on in them.

Offline imacho2

• 1st Kit
Re: Getting frustrated. Can you help?
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 09:15:20 am »
Thank you everyone. Sounds like the general consensus is to ensure proper sterilization and keep it simple for now. Ive "liked" a local home-brew group on the face space. I'll keep practicing til I can't get it wrong.

Also the following week I made a batch of Oatmeal Stout with a good friend and his dad. Apparently they have been home brewing for 20+ years. I watched his techniques and noted what I was doing wrong. I should have some better luck with my next batch. Its a Wiezenbier and fermenting now. Prost!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:51:50 am by imacho2 »