Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: quick hop fu procedure question  (Read 4099 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: quick hop fu procedure question
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2016, 01:14:48 pm »
Of course there's no way it's a typo, right?

Sure could be, but how can we assume that?
I have the mp3 as well. I could go look for it. Is this a matter of life and death?

Nope...just curious.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 01:16:59 pm »
I feel like Denny is throwing the baby out with the bathwater here, in a manner that comes off rudely to me. But maybe that's just me.

Nonsensical? Personally I see great value in a champion brewer giving his steps. Maybe, apparently, he's confused about what a specific step is FOR. I'll take the info given, not necessarily the reasoning, and adapt for my own uses.

*another shrug*

Sorry if I seem rude...I kinda have a tendency to do that even when not intended.  And I have no doubt it's a great recipe.  It's completely possible for a brewer to make a great beer without understanding how he did it....it's happened to me!  But I stand by my opinion (and that's all it is!) that it makes no sense.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 01:54:34 pm »

I have the mp3 as well. I could go look for it. Is this a matter of life and death?

Nope...just curious.

HAD to look it up.
- fermenter seal is to put a bit of pressure so that the yeast settles out more easily
- he does say 60F - "and sometimes it'll throw a bit of diacetyl at that point".
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 02:24:19 pm »
FWIW I have seen "lower to 60-62" on the internet many times over the past decade. I personally believe a good portion of the confusion is coming from a couple documents Fermentis has had out there.

One of them is the PDF entitled " 2010_TT_EN_HD" ...that my phone isn't letting my link right now...

Would I personally lower to reduce diacetyl? - no.  But I might to mimic a particularly successful recipe.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2016, 02:33:27 pm »
FWIW I have seen "lower to 60-62" on the internet many times over the past decade. I personally believe a good portion of the confusion is coming from a couple documents Fermentis has had out there.

One of them is the PDF entitled " 2010_TT_EN_HD" ...that my phone isn't letting my link right now...

Would I personally lower to reduce diacetyl? - no.  But I might to mimic a particularly successful recipe.

And that's fine....my inclination would be to say "WHA????" and skip it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 04:39:48 pm »

Nope...just curious.

HAD to look it up.
- fermenter seal is to put a bit of pressure so that the yeast settles out more easily
- he does say 60F - "and sometimes it'll throw a bit of diacetyl at that point".
The way I take that is the exact opposite of a D rest. It is a mention that the yeast may produce some diacetyl at that point. Which makes much more sense to me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2016, 05:38:09 pm »
To be clear, I think its well within everyone's rights to ferment at 67, then drop to 60 for a D rest. Personally, I only drop my fermenter temp for two reasons. 1. Is when I finish my lacto at 98 and drop to 68 to pitch brett. 2. Is when I drop a finished beer to 30 for gell fining. But I would be totally ok if I was the only one who did that.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2016, 05:58:08 pm »

After looking at the slide show pdf, its not a typo. Pretty clear that on day ten you drop the temp from 67 to 60 for a D rest. Rules out that possibility.

Honestly, either way its not something I need to waste my precious supply of righteous indignation on. I'll save that for bigger issues, like... theoretical IBU utilization rates during low temp whirlpools.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2016, 06:21:13 pm »
Strange D rest procedure aside, I still enjoyed the presentation. He's won a ton of awards and it's cool to see someone like that go in depth with their recipes and process. As far as using info from other brewers goes, it's pretty much a la carte for me - I sift through and try out the stuff I like and leave the rest anyway. I picked up a few tips from him and reinforced a few things I was doing already. Works for me.
Jon H.