Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Potassium Chloride  (Read 10119 times)

thelastdamnbatch

Potassium Chloride
« on: February 19, 2016, 04:44:20 pm »
Has anyone experimented with adding potassium to their water (potassium chloride vs sodium chloride)?

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Re: Potassium Chloride
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 05:52:39 am »
Interesting idea.   

Not sure how potasium vs sodium would change things.  There must be some info out there about it from a food science point of view.

From a chemistry point of view, the ions are "the same".   I would not expect there to be much difference except that potassium chloride is probably harder to get and costs more.  (thinking water softner salt)

I dont add NaCL to my brewing water.  I usually stick with Calcium Chloride and Calcium Sulfate.     

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 06:57:30 am »
I can't see any compelling reason to choose KCl over NaCl. A small amount of sodium is fine for flavor purposes, but you want to keep it at a relatively low level. Potassium has a similar flavor impact to sodium, so I can't see any reason why you'd prefer it to sodium.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

thelastdamnbatch

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 08:40:53 am »
Potassium Chloride has a weak, bitter, unsalty flavor and sodium chloride has a strong salty flavor.

I know that adding a small amounts of sodium chloride to darker beers can help improve their flavor.

Has anyone actually tried adding potassium chloride to a beer, perhaps somewhat in excess, to test what effects it has?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 09:42:33 pm »
I'd be careful with what you consider "excess" on KCl. 7.5 grams is the dose they use in lethal injection, and you can still cause serious cardiac issues well below that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

thelastdamnbatch

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 06:34:43 am »
You are correct, using different chemicals requires caution.   Since I'm not into executing myself, in a 5.5 gallon batch, 100 ppm would be about 1 gram per gallon or 150 ppm would be about 1.5 grams per gallon.

If you look at commercial water sales - the ingredients Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate and Sodium Chloride are main ingredients in most (for taste) and IMHO waters that use those salts taste very good.  Of course it's difficult to determine the makeup of the base water they add those to.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 07:15:38 am »
I'd be careful with what you consider "excess" on KCl. 7.5 grams is the dose they use in lethal injection, and you can still cause serious cardiac issues well below that.

Exactly. A really bad source of chloride IMO. I realize there's a threshold where it becomes dangerous, but there's a much better option.
Jon H.

thelastdamnbatch

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 08:08:46 am »

Exactly. A really bad source of chloride IMO. I realize there's a threshold where it becomes dangerous, but there's a much better option.

Really?  Seriously?  That would be like using sodium chloride as a source for chloride.

It's for the potassium not the chloride, the chloride just comes along for the ride.

thelastdamnbatch

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 08:23:15 am »
Oh and BTW instead of mindlessly repeating the crap you guys found during an inane google search, do some research for yourselves.  I can't believe someone thinks injecting raw potassium chloride into ones bloodstream during an execution is the same as adding a couple grams to a beer.  Unbelievable.  Then another person randomly injects that it's a source for chloride!  Total BS.  Quit spreading FUD.

However, the United Kingdom Expert Group on Vitamins and Minerals considers that for normal individuals, ingestion of potassium supplements of up to 3700 mg/day is likely to be without overt effects

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/70171/1/WHO_HSE_WSH_09.01_7_eng.pdf
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:27:14 am by thelastdamnbatch »

narvin

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 08:31:07 am »
Also, be careful because people taking certain medications are suggested to avoid any potassium supplements.

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2009/WHO_HSE_WSH_09.01_7_eng.pdf

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 08:37:03 am »

Oh and BTW instead of mindlessly repeating the crap you guys found during an inane google search, do some research for yourselves.  I can't believe someone thinks injecting raw potassium chloride into ones bloodstream during an execution is the same as adding a couple grams to a beer.  Unbelievable.  Then another person randomly injects that it's a source for chloride!  Total BS.  Quit spreading FUD.

However, the United Kingdom Expert Group on Vitamins and Minerals considers that for normal individuals, ingestion of potassium supplements of up to 3700 mg/day is likely to be without overt effects

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/70171/1/WHO_HSE_WSH_09.01_7_eng.pdf
Please be civil.

narvin

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 08:37:17 am »
Oh and BTW instead of mindlessly repeating the crap you guys found during an inane google search, do some research for yourselves.

Or, you could read the entire document that you found while googling instead of going on a hyperactive tirade.  If excess potassium can be dangerous to certain people, I personally think that requires some degree of forethought instead of dismissing any caution as FUD.

thelastdamnbatch

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 08:46:03 am »
Also, be careful because people taking certain medications are suggested to avoid any potassium supplements.

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2009/WHO_HSE_WSH_09.01_7_eng.pdf

Or, you could read the entire document that you found while googling instead of going on a hyperactive tirade.  If excess potassium can be dangerous to certain people, I personally think that requires some degree of forethought instead of dismissing any caution as FUD.

I read that document as part of my research not just some random google.

Injecting many grams of the substance into ones bloodstream is FUD! Especially when one is brewing beer.

Looking for people who have tried this would indicate that they've done the research and know what they are doing.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:49:37 am by thelastdamnbatch »

thelastdamnbatch

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 08:48:21 am »
Please be civil.

Bringing down the hammer on stupidity is being civil.  If you have a problem with something I said then send me a PM I'll set you straight.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Potassium Chloride
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 08:53:03 am »
Please be civil.

Bringing down the hammer on stupidity is being civil. 
No. Calling fellow posters stupid is not civil.
If you have a problem with something I said then send me a PM I'll set you straight.
Is that the Internet forum equivalent of let's step outside?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:29:31 am by alestateyall »