Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Potassium Chloride  (Read 10101 times)

thelastdamnbatch

Re: Potassium Chloride
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 08:54:22 am »
Please be civil.

Bringing down the hammer on stupidity is being civil. 
No. Calling fellow stupid posters is not civil.
If you have a problem with something I said then send me a PM I'll set you straight.
Is that the Internet forum equivalent of let's step outside?

Take your meta discussion out of this thread immediately.  That's why you would send a PM.  Do it!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Potassium Chloride
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 10:05:49 am »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 10:19:27 am »
Wow. I mean, wow. I'm blown away that somebody new here would draw their line in the sand on freaking KCl. Really ? Whatever. You may justify calling people stupid as civil, but I'm pretty convinced it isn't. I'm well aware that adding it doesn't to beer doesn't equate to an IV injection, but it doesn't necessarily make it smart for people with varying medical conditions either. Damn sure doesn't make someone who wants to err on the side of caution stupid.

Edit - Like the pic, Steve.  ;)

Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 11:18:15 am »
Please be civil.

Bringing down the hammer on stupidity is being civil.  If you have a problem with something I said then send me a PM I'll set you straight.

No, it is not, nor is calling people inane.  If you want to stock around, please change that behavior.

To answer your question, I experimented with potassium many years ago.  The added potassium made no difference in the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 11:19:06 am »
Please be civil.

Bringing down the hammer on stupidity is being civil. 
No. Calling fellow stupid posters is not civil.
If you have a problem with something I said then send me a PM I'll set you straight.
Is that the Internet forum equivalent of let's step outside?

Take your meta discussion out of this thread immediately.  That's why you would send a PM.  Do it!

Uh, I don't think you have the authority to make that demand.  This is your second warning.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

thelastdamnbatch

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 11:33:20 am »
Please be civil.

Bringing down the hammer on stupidity is being civil.  If you have a problem with something I said then send me a PM I'll set you straight.

No, it is not, nor is calling people inane.  If you want to stock around, please change that behavior.

To answer your question, I experimented with potassium many years ago.  The added potassium made no difference in the beer.

Uh, I don't think you have the authority to make that demand.  This is your second warning.

As they lay in wait in of my acerbic response the question becomes what chemical did you use to experiment with potassium?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 12:04:12 pm »
At risk of providing further fodder here, I just felt the need to urge a bit of caution in response to the suggestion to spike a beer with an unspecified "excess" of potassium. While it's not likely one would use enough potassium to cause an issue for the average person, I'd hate to see someone on an ACE inhibitor or potassium-sparing diuretic use a bit too much and end up in arrhythmia.

Aside from possibly chemotherapy, potassium has the most risk for harm of all the medications we dispense on a daily basis. Once you're at a code for someone who can't get their K levels down you tend to develop a healthy respect for potassium.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

thelastdamnbatch

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 12:10:31 pm »
At risk of providing further fodder here, I just felt the need to urge a bit of caution in response to the suggestion to spike a beer with an unspecified "excess" of potassium. While it's not likely one would use enough potassium to cause an issue for the average person, I'd hate to see someone on an ACE inhibitor or potassium-sparing diuretic use a bit too much and end up in arrhythmia.

Aside from possibly chemotherapy, potassium has the most risk for harm of all the medications we dispense on a daily basis. Once you're at a code for someone who can't get their K levels down you tend to develop a healthy respect for potassium.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's a better explanation.

thelastdamnbatch

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 12:43:10 pm »

Says the opinionated hippie.

Seems a reasonable demand to me.

So what potassium salt did you smoke? (err... try in your beer)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 12:51:18 pm »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 01:12:04 pm »
I've looked all over the site and still can't find the "Trolls Welcome" sign. Ridiculous and unnecessary.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 01:21:12 pm »

Final warning..if you want to stay, be civil.

www.dennybrew.com

thelastdamnbatch

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 01:35:06 pm »

Final warning..if you want to stay, be civil.

I believe the authority to demand cease and desist of meta-discussion belong to the thread owner.

Now would ya please tell me what potassium salt you experimented with?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 01:41:50 pm »
Hey, Last Batch. This is part of the forum rules we all live by. This means you. Read it and abide by it or go away.

3. Be respectful of the questions and comments of others. It is OK to disagree with someone, but do so with respect. Keep the AHA forum friendly and encouraging of everyone's participation. We will not tolerate rudeness, insults, personal attacks, inflammatory remarks, threats, racial/ethnic slurs, trolling, flame baiting or similarly disruptive postings.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 05:34:24 pm »