Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 02 level in wort  (Read 2013 times)

Offline sprider1

• 1st Kit
02 level in wort
« on: February 17, 2016, 12:01:22 pm »
I  have been  chugging away  at  all grain  around twenty  years  with  no  real issues   last  18.BUT,as I  was off work  today  pondering  lifes mysteries.I was  thinking  how  do I consistently add 02 to my   wort? For a  very long time I have  used a  stone with  disposable   02 bottles. But through use inside pressure goes  down so I am  cranking up the gauge-less regulator. I  am a thinking gravity  and  temp  are factors in some kind of  formula.Without buying a  dissolved  oxy meter,anyone have  a  economical way  of to get  same levels each  time.I figure its  one more variable to  remove if I   can.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
Re: 02 level in wort
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:07:44 pm »
Mix-stir at constant RPM for X seconds.

I know some people really like their diffusion stones and O2 tanks but I found them more of a PITA than I felt necessary.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:15:30 pm »
You could use a high end oxygen regulator designed for medical use. They have flow regulation that keeps it at a set rate. Or you could not worry.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 04:22:55 pm »
I went form an O2 system to a MixStir to nothing special now.  Once I started pumping the wort to the fermenter, I found I was getting so much foam that I didn't need to do anything else.  And the results prove it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 05:13:34 pm »
I only use my stone and tank for very high gravity beers and big lagers.  All else gets 5 minutes of intense shaking with great results.

Offline martinj

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 06:22:27 pm »
I went form an O2 system to a MixStir to nothing special now.  Once I started pumping the wort to the fermenter, I found I was getting so much foam that I didn't need to do anything else.  And the results prove it.

+1 Same here. Well, sorta. I just gravity flow the wort from my kettle to the fermenter. I get plenty of aeration with this method, and when I add a good, healthy pitch of yeast, well.... it works as well as I could possibly ask for.
Marty

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 06:24:13 am »
I don't worry about "consistent amounts" as much as I do "enough". After proper sanitization, I place the stone just under the surface of the wort, and open the gas valve until I just see a steady stream of bubbles. I then drop the stone to the bottom of the fermenter and move it around. If I still see bubbles, I reduce the flow; no (few) bubbles, just about right. I usually let it flow for at least 90 seconds for "normal" gravity wort; more like 2 - 2.5 minutes for higher gravity. I probably don't get the kind of consistence that you would with a gauge, but I do seems to get enough O2 in there.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 07:19:22 am »

Yeah something like this. I run my wort off through a filter into a bucket. Then I dump from that bucket into a fermenting bucket or carboy. I get plenty of oxygenation in most beers. Some bigger styles might get an extra stir.
Frank

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:40:06 am »
Yeah something like this. I run my wort off through a filter into a bucket. Then I dump from that bucket into a fermenting bucket or carboy. I get plenty of oxygenation in most beers. Some bigger styles might get an extra stir.
Same here. I pour my kettle through a series of filters into my fermentation bucket. That seems to be more than enough aeration for my needs. I will occasionally break out the O2 setup for somehing big like a barleywine or a doppelbock, but I'm not convinced that even those need it. For meads, all I use is the whisk attachment on my stick blender. If that's enough for an 18% mead, then it should be fine for a 12% beer, IMO.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 11:49:13 am »
Outside of a DO meter, I'm not sure if you can do better than a flow meter and a consistent process.

They do sell flow meters that can be used with the red, disposable oxygen bottles. 

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 07:34:27 pm »
My British ales became very bland when I was using lager tricks on those. Higher pitch rates from Mrmalty, yeast nutrients, O2, and so one. Did a bitter, pumped to the fermenter, pitched warm with 1 package no starter, just a pinch of nutrient in the boil. Was still fermenting when we hit the road a couple days ago. Will see how it turns out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!