Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Small gripe with Zymurgy (and BYO as well)  (Read 5230 times)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: Small gripe with Zymurgy (and BYO as well)
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 05:19:22 am »

Nicely done, hokerer!  8)
Just brew it...

Offline dcrawlins

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 11:27:20 am »
I actually enjoyed both articles.  Each publication had their own twist along with different recipes.  So I saw nothing wrong with both mags featuring the same topic.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 07:38:13 am »
Here's what I think is silly: Two separate people wrote into Zymurgy and complained about the full page Budweiser ads. really, people, you think Zymurgy should turn down a FULL PAGE AD???  ??? Come on back down to reality, people. Magazines stay in business because of ads. As long as they are not morally offensive you don't turn them down.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 08:06:03 am »
Here's what I think is silly: Two separate people wrote into Zymurgy and complained about the full page Budweiser ads. really, people, you think Zymurgy should turn down a FULL PAGE AD???  ??? Come on back down to reality, people. Magazines stay in business because of ads. As long as they are not morally offensive you don't turn them down.

+1 just read those two this morning and just have to wonder what the heck these folks are thinking.
Joe

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 08:28:34 am »
You mean Budweiser isn't morally offensive?  ;)

But yeah, totally agree with the above.  Read it this morning as well since I only got my copy yesterday.  It's a beer magazine and a beer ad.  You take the ads where you can get them.

Edit - Also thought there was a good chance there were more than two letters and those were the two that were chosen as a representative sample to respond to.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:30:47 am by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 08:29:12 am »

+1 here too.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 09:07:38 am »

I assume those people would be fine with seeing AHA membership rates increase to cover the lost revenue of turning down those ads, right?  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 09:10:36 am »

That's funny because people also did the same thing in the curernt issue of BeerAdvocate as well.  I completely agree that they should let them put an add in because that is how they make money.  On top of that I think that if Bud wants to spend it's money trying to advertise to arguable it's most hostile crowd then I'm all for it.  Keep sending that money our way.

Offline gtoothaker

• Conference
  • 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 09:24:53 am »
I also found it entertaining that the full page Bud ad was facing the reader articles complaining about the ad. 

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 09:37:59 am »
I also found it entertaining that the full page Bud ad was facing the reader articles complaining about the ad. 

yeah, I got a chuckle out of that, too
Joe

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 10:20:42 am »
I know a lot of people think that the budweiser add is kind of like blasphemy, but first it does bring in revenue.  second, they promote beer drinking and what can be wrong with that.  if not for those who went ahead we may still be fighting for the right to drink beer at all let alone brew it.  third, anheuser busch makes varied brews under other labels, (beach bum blonde ale), so they aren't without a little diversity. and fourth, i actually still enjoy drinking a budweiser on occasion, the only reason i refrain from it more now is that it is foreign owned.  take the money. put up the add. 
Don AHA member