Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Patersbier?  (Read 6676 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Patersbier?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 10:17:56 am »
This is what I'm probably going to brew (adapted from a Gordon Strong recipe):

93.5% pils
6.5  % amber candi sugar (for color)
7 IBU Styrian @FWH
10.7 IBU Styrian @60
1.6 IBU Saaz @15
0.6 IBU Saaz @5
3 grams/liter Coriander seed @0
Wyeast 3522

But if you use WY3522, you can't call it Patersbier. No monks were used in the making of the Achouffe yeast.

Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 10:44:53 am »
So are patersbier and what is designated as trappist single within BJCP pretty much synonymous?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 11:01:12 am »
I see several of you use sugar for this.  What's the thinking behind that?

I really like the character that results from an expressive Belgian yeast, a dry finish, and a portion of the fermentables coming from sugar/sugar syrups.  I think it works well even on these smaller Belgian beers.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

RPIScotty

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 11:43:10 am »

I really like the character that results from an expressive Belgian yeast, a dry finish, and a portion of the fermentables coming from sugar/sugar syrups.  I think it works well even on these smaller Belgian beers.

I guess I could see a modest syrup contribution for flavor but table sugar just seems not to jive here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 01:08:40 pm »

I guess I could see a modest syrup contribution for flavor but table sugar just seems not to jive here.

To me, even the syrup seems to be at odds with what the style purports to be.  I can get it plenty dry enough without sugar, and it certainly isn't needed to boost gravity.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 01:32:30 pm »
Outside the purview of the style, I've tried playing around with various darker syrups on lower gravity Belgians, but I haven't really nailed it yet.  I don't know if I'm going to pursue that any further or not.

My favorite at the moment is a pils/pale mix with evaporated cane sugar.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

RPIScotty

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 01:54:11 pm »

To me, even the syrup seems to be at odds with what the style purports to be.  I can get it plenty dry enough without sugar, and it certainly isn't needed to boost gravity.

I agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 06:22:01 pm »
So what other than WY3522 would you suggest if the wife just likes mispronouncing patersbier when she tells folks what it is?   

RPIScotty

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 07:11:56 pm »
WY3787

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 06:06:47 am »
WY3787

Yep, that's my go to for the style but I like 1214 for it as well.  I agree with homoeccentricus that 3522 is a great strain but that it's not really a patersbier without a Trappist strain. Just me.
Jon H.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 08:03:11 am »
For me in the past I use sugar as a slight gravity boost for shelf life.  I don't want to HAVE to pound them down or give them away.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 08:20:42 am »
I may or may not be kidding about the yeast strain. The word or category "patersbier", though definitely Dutch (Flemish) and meaning abbey beer, is not used in Belgium. Same goes for "enkel". Ask for an enkel or patersbier in Belgium and people will just stare at you, shake their heads and mumble "stupid Americans". These beers are neither sold nor drunk anywhere but in a few selected places.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

RPIScotty

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 08:33:13 am »

For me in the past I use sugar as a slight gravity boost for shelf life.  I don't want to HAVE to pound them down or give them away.

Just brew a blonde then.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 10:31:01 am »
I have only ever made from a partigyle, not going to throw extra grains to make it a blonde.  If I am after a blonde I would put together a grain bill as such.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

RPIScotty

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 10:40:47 am »

I have only ever made from a partigyle, not going to throw extra grains to make it a blonde.  If I am after a blonde I would put together a grain bill as such.

How does boosting gravity with simple sugar improve shelf life?