Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Pale Ale Recipe  (Read 4999 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Re: First Pale Ale Recipe
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 09:35:17 am »
I don't think 10% is too much in this recipe and considering Simpsons Golden Naked Oats act more like a sweet nutty crystal malt. I've used 15% flaked oats before in recipes.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 10:36:29 am »
I don't think 10% is too much in this recipe and considering Simpsons Golden Naked Oats act more like a sweet nutty crystal malt. I've used 15% flaked oats before in recipes.

I would give the naked oats a shot to see what you think. Maybe decrease to under 10% if using them without the flaked. I have done an oat pale ale with oat malt, naked oats, and flaked oats for a total of 25% while vienna was the base malt. I didn't care for it but I am not sure which malt was to blame...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 12:03:18 pm »
Hey everybody, being busy with college I haven't been able to brew lately but I have small break coming up and plan on cramming some brews in. I have usually lean towards the malty side of the spectrum when it comes to brewing but I want to brew some decent hoppy beers. What is a good starting point for making a decent Pale Ale. Here is a general idea of what I want to do. This would be for 5 Gallons.
Grist:
90% Pale Ale malt
5% CaraAmber or Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
5% Rye Malt
Hops:
.75oz Simcoe @ FWH
2oz Mosaic @ Whirlpool 170F
.75oz Simcoe @ Whirlpool 170F
Yeast probably just US-05
Any feedback would be appreciated!

I personally think your original recipe is a perfectly fine place to start. You are not overwhelming the beer with specialty malts and you are still providing what should be a solid malt background with the pale ale malt.  While the rye, at 5%, may not be the "highlight" of the beer, I also don't think that it should be therefore I feel like 5% is a good place.  It WILL contribute to the mouthfeel of the beer at 5% giving a fuller body, plus it's flavor contribution will be present, just very subtle.  The oats are fine but I would personally go with the caraamber because you already have the rye in the recipe (the oats will also contribute to a fuller mouthfeel).  I like some percentage of crystal malt in my american pale ales (not a ton, but 5% is pretty reserved) - I am NOT one of those crystal malt haters that seem so prevalent these days.  This is all opinion of course, but I almost feel as though you won't have enough malt presence in the beer even with this recipe (and the oat changes you've made in later posts would reduce that even more, IMO).  A splash of victory or biscuit might help to bring up some light toasty qualities, unless you are planning on using Maris Otter in which case it has plenty of that character.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 09:36:02 pm »
So After browsing around the forum, and looking at some other threads I have finalized my recipe. My grain bill will be 90% Pale Ale Malt, 5% Golden Naked Oats, 5% CaraAmber. I think the ratio of 90% Pale malt/10% light Crystal malts is a good start for now. I will probably over time brew variations of this using rye or flaked oats. Thanks for the input everybody I will post back once this one gets brewed.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 12:03:21 pm »
For an APA I would consider a yeast that can produce some esters.  If you ferment Chico down in the low 60's you will get a peach ester that I personally like a lot in lighter abv, crisp APA's, and it works great in a pub ale I make with it (US-05). 

I personally am a Conan man, but west coast works as well, especially as a baseline.  Since you don't brew these often, maybe split the wort after chilling and use two different yeasts?
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles