Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing the kegging empire  (Read 1931 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Growing the kegging empire
« on: February 20, 2016, 07:48:19 pm »
I was very conservative on my first kegging venture, but instantly "got it." This may be because I had beginner's luck and everything has gone very smoothly, but I am feeling very post-bottle these days.

Because I was conservative, I bought one (3-gallon) keg, a 5-lb CO2 canister, and a Taprite single-body regulator (plus pre-assembled gas and beer lines). I brew small batches so the keg size is perrrrrfect. Sold on kegging, I have already bought another 3-gallon keg from AIH during their Presidents' Day sale and am contemplating taking advantage of the Williams keg sale this weekend on kegs to get one more.

So about regulators. My expectation for the next year or so is I'll have up to two 3-gallon kegs on CO2 at any one time, though with the fridge I have for my kegs (a hand-me-down from my landlord), I could fit three or possibly more. I expect to get busy next weekend and every weekend through the remainder of 2016 with my grad studies, so I am assuming I will brew more than 2015 (three batches) but less than 2014 (not sure, 6-10?). Life could change that, but it's a plan for now, anyway.

I brew different styles; right now I have an oatmeal stout on tap as my first kegged beer, and today brewed a rye IPA (*waves at Denny*), plus have a Belgian tripel in bottles. Should I try using a splitter? Get a dual-body regulator? Get another regulator and canister? What do people do?
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
Re: Growing the kegging empire
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:05:28 pm »
A splitter, or tee, in the line is the cheap and easy way to go.  If you see yourself wanting different carbonation levels between your kegs then a secondary regulator will be needed.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:40:03 am »
http://www.northernbrewer.com/8-way-co2-distributor-w-1-4-mfl-shutoffs

Northern Brewer carries this distributors in sizes down to two. I have a 4 way and 2 way. I love them both.
Frank

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 02:42:27 pm »
I think the distributor is the way to go. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 03:15:59 pm »
FWIW I have two kegerators, each with a tank and 3 way manifold. Just one regulator per kegerator so I can't carb beers differently, but overall it fits my needs nicely.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 08:42:02 am »
Haha ja all my kegged beer pour the same volumes co2. If I want significantly higher then it's bottled unless I want to start switching out line lengths. Which I usually don't...  8)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline liquorsuit

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 10:31:07 am »
I used secondary CO2 regulators. That way I get total control over each keg as well as being able to carbonate.

https://www.kegworks.com/3-way-secondary-air-regulator-polycarbonate-bonnet

This connects directly to my primary regulator on my co2 tank.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 07:41:51 pm »
I have dual regulators, and a manfold off one of the regulators. Been that way for 5 years... and I keep adding onto the manifold.  (the other regulator has been adjusted so that all lines are the same pressure)

The big thing is that, if you have different pressures, you will need different hose lengths to get a good pour.   

In the end, I just have not seen the value of having two regulators  on the same CO2 tank.   

I thought I would value the ability to tweak individual kegs to different pressurs... but that has just not been something I have seen value in. 

The manifold... however, as I said, I have expanded in my fridge.  I recommend having individual shutoffs for each line.  It makes isolating gas leaks much easier, and you can isolate your lines if you need to do line maintenance.   

Enjoy!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!