Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coney Keg Smells After Cleaning  (Read 2194 times)

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
Coney Keg Smells After Cleaning
« on: March 23, 2016, 12:00:01 pm »
I used a coney keg to "brew" some homemade rootbeer, and now it smells like rootbeer inside. I am hesitant to use it for beer again because i fear that the rootbeer flavor will get into the beer. Can this happen? How can i get the smell out? Will the smell affect the beer? Thanks guys.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Coney Keg Smells After Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 12:10:40 pm »
Do a good soak with oxyclean or PBW. You might have to soak the posts as well. I have a small keg that needs this very same attention. Already threw out the line and soaked the QD's and tap.

Keg is next.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 12:12:00 pm »
Replacing the rings wouldn't hurt either.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:58:06 pm »
Good luck. Root beer is like pickle juice - damn hard to eradicate. That's why most poeple that serve root beer do it in a dedicated keg on a dedicated serving line & tap.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 03:43:09 pm »
Good luck. Root beer is like pickle juice - damn hard to eradicate. That's why most poeple that serve root beer do it in a dedicated keg on a dedicated serving line & tap.

Yes.  But most of our used kegs have held syrups before and some of them had to have held root beer.

I would give it a long soak with oxyclean and a detergent.  Start with hot water.  Disassemble everything and soak the posts and dip tubes.  Throw out the rubber.  After soaking, scrub everything with something like a clean toilet brush.  I would use a diptube brush, too.

Leave it open to dry out.  I've found that sealing the kegs before they dry can help capture some of the lingering odors.  Leave it open for a while.  Smell it and repeat as needed.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 03:54:40 pm »
Root beer and Dr Pepper. By far the worst.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:37:32 pm »
Replacing the rings wouldn't hurt either.
This, oh yeah. I have rebuilt more than a few kegs that had residual soda syrup in them. The worst was one that had contained Mountain Dew.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 06:47:12 pm »
+2.  I've bought a lot of used kegs. I also had one with Mountain Dew that was a mother to clean and deodorize. Always have to change all the o-rings.
Jon H.