Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Galatin fining  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Galatin fining
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2016, 01:17:52 pm »
i mostly use wlp090 for my IPA and APA.  It flocs very well so the haze I mostly end up with is the dry hop haze, not so much tons of yeast sediment. For this reason, Ive just stopped using gelatin for these beers.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 04:36:05 pm »
I like the idea of a post-fine dry-hop technique.

Seems to me the gelatin process accelerates the conditioning at least 4 weeks if not more. So it's not surprising that the hop character would diminish somewhat and not be as punchy as the same beer 6 weeks younger.

Whether gelatin fining does more than intended or not ought to be investigated further. Has become popular among homebrewers lately. Might be there are some minor pitfalls to consider- like it's actually detrimental to certain recipes with lots of carefully crafted hop character.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 06:17:52 pm »

Seems to me the gelatin process accelerates the conditioning at least 4 weeks if not more. So it's not surprising that the hop character would diminish somewhat and not be as punchy as the same beer 6 weeks younger.

One of the guys who writes for Brülosophy refers to gelatin as powdered time because it allows for the turning around of beers much quicker.

I think hop character would be lower in a 6 week old beer compared to a fresh beer regardless of gelatin.