Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC ever in New England?  (Read 5931 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
NHC ever in New England?
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:05:32 am »
So, I am a fairly new AHA member so I never really paid much attention in the past.  Has there ever been or will there ever be an NHC conference in New England?  I realize it would probably have to be in Boston being the largest city but 3 hours away is better than 2-4,000 miles.

The few years I have been aware of the conferences it seems it is frequently in California and occasionally in the Midwest.  I would love to attend some time.  Just can't afford to take time and fly and pay for hotels...

Yeah, I am griping.  Sorry for being a sour puss.   :-*
Dave Brush

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: NHC ever in New England?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:17:29 am »
They did have one in Manchester, NH years ago, but there's a snowball' chance in hell of that happening again.  Boston would be a challenge.  First the local clubs would need to do a lot of work to put a bid together.  Also, June is a pretty busy time in Boston so hotel prices would be pretty high.  And Massachusetts ( as well as  NH ) have some strict laws on alcohol.

Burlington, VT would be nice in June, but again I don't know if there's the capacity to handle something this big.  Portland, ME would be awesome ( great beer city ), but summertime in Maine is huge $$$.

I think our best bet will be Philly for something getting close to us in NE.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:32:25 am »
The NHC was in Baltimore, and we, the members of the Governing Committee want the NHC to be spread across the country, but. . .

The NHC is mostly brought together and run by volunteers of a "Local Committee".  Without these volunteers this event could NOT be pulled off.  If you have a volunteer core that wants to do this, and a location that can provide rooms and meeting facilities for 1000+ then yes, it can be done.  We will see that those so inclined have access to the NHC Planning Guide and we will work with you.  

It is this core of volunteers submitting a viable bid that determines location for the conference.  I assure you that it is no small task, but we do encourage bids.  

I cannot reveal locations at this time but we do have bids for 2012 and 2013, and have strong interest for 2014 (all of which will be awesome locations for the NHC).  This gives you an idea of how far ahead we are looking, and the effort involved.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Crispy275

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:34:32 am »
I second what Fred posted. I have been itching for a New England conference for years, and I have sent out appeals through Tech Talk over the last couple to have interested clubs raise their hands. Keep in mind that the AHA has 3 full time employees (Gary, Janis and Kate), and half of Jill Redding (Zymurgy). While they get assistence from other Brewers Association staff for handling the conference, it takes several dozen volunteers to pull off a successful conference.

There are about a half dozen critical factors taken into consideration when a bid is submitted, with about a dozen more prominent ones weighed in as well. Fred and I worked on an unsuccessful 2010 Michigan NHC bid, but we certainkly enjoyed Minnesota, along with the fact we were not hosting. Hosting is a huge committment, and while we were hopeful to acquire the conference (and will likely submit another future bid), we were able to relax and enjoy homebrews much, much more.

So, if you are in the New England area, and want to contemplate hosting a future conference, please let myself, fred, or any other AHA Governing Committee member know. Or Gary Glass. With the size and growth of the conferences, two years is now the normal preparation time to pull everything together. Commemerative brews, 100+ BJCP judges, easy transportation from a major airport, beer-friendly facility that can handle 1,000+ homebrewers, local support from pro-brewers, volunteer cellerman, club night organizers, etc., you get the picture.
Chris P. Frey, aka "Crispy"
Mountain Ale & Lager Tasters MALT)
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild (AABG)
Fermental Order of Renaissance Draughtsmen (FORD)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:27:22 am »
easy transportation from a major airport

Well that pretty much rules out Boston :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:38:42 pm »
Well that pretty much rules out Boston :)

Bah, if my 18 year old small town living rube could figure out getting from Logan to Kendall. I trust in our members to be smarter than that. (Seriously, one of the scariest things ever in my life, arriving in Boston and dragging my luggage through the T)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline brewmeistergi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 01:44:33 pm »
Forgive me for talking out of my hat here but there must be bids from east coast clubs and in order to be fair to AHA members, the NHC needs to be held throughout the country.  As said above, the left side of the country seems to have more than its share of conferences.  Five members from our club drove 16 hours with a trailer and 160 gallons of homebrew to participate this year. (From Niagara Falls,NY)  More members of our club were hoping for a closer venue next year and I, for one, am extremely disappointed to find the conference further instead of closer to our location.  I appreciate the efforts of AHA associates and volunteers but come on guys, help us more easily enjoy the conference a little more often.

Thanks

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 03:17:56 pm »
Quoting Gary Glass,
we are anticipating being on the East Coast for a conference within a couple of years.

We cannot be more specific until contracts are finalized and signed and some details are fleshed out.  This typically has occurred shortly before the preceding years conference.

We try hard to spread it around.

Fred
Fred Bonjour

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 03:39:40 pm »
Quoting Gary Glass,
we are anticipating being on the East Coast for a conference within a couple of years.

We cannot be more specific until contracts are finalized and signed and some details are fleshed out.  This typically has occurred shortly before the preceding years conference.

We try hard to spread it around.

Fred

Philly or Baltimore would be great. I'm right between them. Even New England is within driving distance for me.

Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 03:50:48 pm »
Philly or Baltimore would be great. I'm right between them. Even New England is within driving distance for me.
Then volunteer and form/join a committee and make it happen. 

Fred
Fred Bonjour

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 04:08:07 pm »
For anyone interested in how to go about getting a conference, the AHA staff just made the conference planning doc publicly available:

http://ahaclubs.homebrewersassociation.org/NHCplanningguide
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 04:46:30 pm »
For anyone interested in how to go about getting a conference, the AHA staff just made the conference planning doc publicly available:

http://ahaclubs.homebrewersassociation.org/NHCplanningguide

Thanks,

I glanced it over and it was a very interesting read. I didn't know that you actually discourage repeating speakers and that Father's Day should be avoided ;)

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 09:34:03 am »
I appreciate the efforts of AHA associates and volunteers but come on guys, help us more easily enjoy the conference a little more often.

Thanks

Help us help you....get homebrewers in your area together.  Read through the conference planning guide (http://ahaclubs.homebrewersassociation.org/NHCplanningguide) to see what it takes to run a conference.  Submit a proposal to the AHA.  There's no bias against the east coast.  It's just that there's a been a lack of proposals from east coast groups.  We can't do it without you!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 09:34:53 am »
I didn't know that you actually discourage repeating speakers and that Father's Day should be avoided ;)

Kai

OUCH!!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 10:30:11 am »
Then volunteer and form/join a committee and make it happen. 

Fred

I might just do that. What's the best way to get started?
Ron Price