Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aeration and OG  (Read 3023 times)

Offline BlackSquirrelBC

• 1st Kit
Aeration and OG
« on: February 21, 2016, 07:21:47 am »
So, I just got a new aeration system, and I tried it out yesterday. This is the system I got: http://labelpeelers.com/beer-making/beer-yeast/aeration-system/. I was so enthusiastic to begin aerating the wort that I forgot to take my OG reading beforehand.  After 30 minutes or aerating, I took the measure, and it was 1.056. 

Now, it makes sense to me that the gravity should drop after aerating, which means that I should have to add a couple points to my OG to correct for that.  Does anyone have any idea how much I should correct for after 30 minutes of aeration with the pump linked above?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Aeration and OG
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 09:08:23 am »
I don't think aerating your wort caused a drop in gravity.  And I wouldn't worry about being a couple of points under your target.  That could just be the error in your measuring device.  Pitch the yeast and be happy!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 09:46:24 am »
yeah I'm no expert on this, but doesn't seem to me that adding O2 would change your gravity. after all, you're not diluting your wort, just adding O2.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 10:00:34 am »
And did you mean thirty MINUTES of aerating?  If you did, that is WAY too much.  By that I don't mean to imply you've ruined anything, just that you've wasted your time.  A lot of really good beer is made without aerating anything under ~1.070.

Another question: what method are you using to determine OG?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:01:42 am »
Minor difference if any.

Offline martinj

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 10:52:34 am »
I think it would take some pretty sensitive measuring equipment to actually see any difference in OG before and after aeration. In any case, the difference would be inconsequential for our purposes.
Marty

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 11:14:28 am »
I can't imagine why the OG would drop after aeration.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline martinj

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 10:09:46 am »
I can't imagine why the OG would drop after aeration.

I don't think it would drop. Aeration is adding dissolved oxygen (and other elements/compounds, like CO2), so if anything, it would raise the OG. But again, I'm thinking the difference would be so small, there would be very little measurable difference, at least not that would be detectable a basic hydrometer like we use for homebrewing.
Marty

Offline BlackSquirrelBC

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 09:35:47 pm »
Wow, thanks for all of the discussion here, everyone!  To answer your question, yso191: I'm using a normal, glass hydrometer.  As far as how long I aerated the wort, I went for 30 minutes because that's what the instructions with my pump told me to do.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 04:35:10 am »
Aeration is not going to change your hydrometer reading. I don't think 30 minutes of pumped air to too much but from experience I can imagine you had quite a bit of foam. I've left it before to come back to foam all over the inside of my fermentation chamber.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 05:22:25 am »
The maximum level of O2 solubility into wort is 8 ppm using air. You aren't going to see any difference on your hydrometer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!