Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Which of these would you consider the best dry hop combo for a Black IPA (with Simcoe, Cascade, Citra, and Sorachi Ace as the kettle additions)

Simcoe
0 (0%)
CTZ
1 (10%)
Citra
0 (0%)
Simcoe/CTZ
4 (40%)
Simcoe/Citra
1 (10%)
Citra/CTZ
1 (10%)
Simcoe/Citra/CTZ
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: July 22, 2010, 12:05:37 pm

Author Topic: Best Dry Hop Combo  (Read 4870 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Best Dry Hop Combo
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:05:37 pm »
My plan had been to dry hop with 1oz Simcoe and .5 oz Citra, but I realize I have some CTZ leftover, and I LOVE CTZ as a dry hop, but since I haven't used any in the kettle, I thought the dankness might muddle the decided "fruity" balance in the blend.

Also, amounts would be nice. I think 1-1.5 oz is plenty, but I would go over if anyone seems to think I need to. The simcoe I have available now is in pellet form, but the CTZ and Citra are whole, fwiw. I keg, too. So, I could potentially dry hop twice.

The kettle additions went like this:

US Sorachi Ace   11.0 %    0.50 oz    14.2    Loose Whole Hops    45 Min From End
US Cascade         4.0 %    2.00 oz    13.6    Loose Whole Hops    20 Min From End
US Simcoe         12.0 %    1.00 oz    12.3    Loose Whole Hops    10 Min From End
US Sorachi Ace   11.0 %    1.00 oz    11.2    Loose Whole Hops    10 Min From End
US Simcoe         12.0 %    1.00 oz    6.7    Loose Whole Hops    5 Min From End
US Citra             10.8 %    1.00 oz    6.1    Loose Whole Hops    5 Min From End
US Simcoe         12.0 %    1.00 oz    0.0    Loose Whole Hops    At turn off
US Citra             10.8 %    1.00 oz    0.0    Loose Whole Hops    At turn off
US Sorachi Ace   11.0 %    0.50 oz    0.0    Loose Whole Hops    At turn off

5.25 gal

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Re: Best Dry Hop Combo
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:21:53 pm »
Simcoe/Cascade
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:33:36 pm »
Just dry-hop with Simcoe.  I think you're right that CTZ might overpower the Citra papaya flavors. But like you, I really like the CTZ combo, but then again you can make a CTZ IPA bomb on the next batch.   
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:39:56 am »
CTZ/Simcoe

Citra is too fruity for my tastes and needs more pine, earth and dank sharpness that combo will give you.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:24:56 pm »
Yeah I think Citra does have a real passion/papaya mellow flavor and that is why I think Sierra Nevada blends some magnum and other hop in the mix with SNTP.  I made a mellow soft 70 IBU IPA with Citra as flavoring at 20 and 10 minutes, Chinook as bittering and Centennial as finishing hops and most of my guy friends that had it only had a couple and their female friends and the rest of the ladies wanted more (crazy wetness stuff, we were like wtf). The beer tasted like passion/grape fruit, no wonder.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.