Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey For New Barrel  (Read 12378 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Whiskey For New Barrel
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2016, 01:17:47 pm »
Just busting your chops.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 02:05:22 pm »
As I deserve!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 07:05:48 am »
I don't understand why anyone would use an expensive bottle of whiskey to prime a bbl. You will pick up some very raw wood flavors from a new bbl and it essentially ruins the whiskey (doesn't make it better). I really like Very Old Bartons. It's about $25 a handle and is actually a pretty damn nice whiskey for the price. Just don't let that secret get out there lest they raise the price.

I agree with Major on this 100%.  Even though he turned up his nose the first time I mentioned VOB.

I made a terrible assumption based on a biased opinion. But back then I was using VOB to recharge some whiskey barrel kegs. I thought it was rot Gut crap base don the price. Thankfully most folks still do!

pete b: I won't go into detail but I know a thing or two about whiskey making and whiskey that comes out of barrels after only a few months has a very bad wood flavor. OTOH everyones taste is different so you may be fine but I think you will find a "green" wood flavor is imparted that you will not enjoy.
I appreciate the honest advice, Keith. So basically with new barrels they impart a bad flavor early on but after several years that flavor goes away/changes?
So far my whiskey doesn't have that flavor. Should I just take it out now and put the next thing in (mead)? Will the next thing get that bad flavor?
Is a new wooden cask pretty much useless to anyone but a distiller?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2016, 09:40:23 am »
There are so many white whiskeys being sold with little casks as an "age your own whiskey" kit that it wouldn't surprise me if those casks have been soaked with water and drained several times to try and mellow the flavors that they will impart.

The companies selling those kits don't want you to wind up with a tannic woody mess that is undrinkable.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 01:31:56 pm »
pete: I think your beer will be fine for a couple weeks in the cask after charging. I think you have lessened the quality of your whiskey. But you will need to be the ultimate decider of that. I think a cheap whiskey is better for charging your cask since you won't feel the pain in your check book and your pallet won't be able to tell the difference what whiskey was in the cask.

But when I have used new casks for beer I have hot soaked and rinsed them a few times has Joe has suggested before adding beer.

Taste the whiskey and see what you think.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2016, 02:06:24 pm »
Thanks for the posts Keith. So far after 5 days we can't taste a difference side by side with same uncasked whiskey. Btw I cured it for 48 hours with very hot water and rinsed with water 3 times after that. I suspect that helped.
I'm willing to put in the time to do a tasting everyday and remove when a change happens.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2016, 04:57:19 am »
Thanks for the posts Keith. So far after 5 days we can't taste a difference side by side with same uncasked whiskey. Btw I cured it for 48 hours with very hot water and rinsed with water 3 times after that. I suspect that helped.
I'm willing to put in the time to do a tasting everyday and remove when a change happens.

I did not know you cured and rinsed 3 times. I am sure that helps.