Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Guidelines - pH  (Read 4968 times)

hawkeye

BJCP Guidelines - pH
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:28:21 am »
Why aren't target mash and boil pH ranges included for each style in the BJCP guidelines?  (i.e. Too subjective, too much work to include, etc...)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: BJCP Guidelines - pH
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 07:55:50 am »
Why aren't target mash and boil pH ranges included for each style in the BJCP guidelines?  (i.e. Too subjective, too much work to include, etc...)

That would be solid, so would not screwing up international styles.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:11:39 am »

For the same reason that other recipe specifics aren't stated in the guidelines. For the beer drinker, its all about where the beer ended up, not how it got there.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 08:15:42 am »

For the same reason that other recipe specifics aren't stated in the guidelines. For the beer drinker, its all about where the beer ended up, not how it got there.

I suppose one could argue that pH identifies a characteristic of the beer the same as the OG, FG, ABV, IBU, SRM and ingredients list.  Are these characteristics also not used by brewers?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:17:43 am by hawkeye »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 08:21:40 am »
Judges eval your beer, not its stats. I'm not aware of any hard and fast rules on pH for any beer. Some are better than others.

Edit - Other than the obvious 5.2-5.6 range that you'd use for most any beer. Past that, it's preference.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:26:21 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 08:32:16 am »
The BJCP Guidelines are not a recipe guide. They are guidelines for judges at competition.

If someone feels strongly the guidelines should be revised in any way, they should write up those changes/styles in detail and send them to the Style Committee.

To be clear what I mean by that, if you were to send an email to the style committee and say, "please add mash pH to all the styles in the BJCP Guidelines" or "the International styles are wrong", your email would probably get ignored.

The email should be style by style, here are the changes to that style. There are Word documents on the BJCP website where you could track changes.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 08:38:09 am »
It would also eliminate extract brewers

hawkeye

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 08:39:01 am »
Judges eval your beer, not its stats. I'm not aware of any hard and fast rules on pH for any beer. Some are better than others.

Edit - Other than the obvious 5.2-5.6 range that you'd use for most any beer. Past that, it's preference.

Perhaps one could argue that the BJCP guidelines are used by brewers and judges.

So you're saying the ideal range would be the same for most beers (light, dark and in-between) so why bother including it?

hawkeye

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 08:41:11 am »
The BJCP Guidelines are not a recipe guide. They are guidelines for judges at competition.

Aren't these guidelines where most brewers go to get parameters for the beers they brew such that they fit into a specific category?  Or do most brewers just make a beer and then decide which category to place it in?

hawkeye

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 08:44:18 am »

Extract brewers don't benefit by checking pH?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 08:46:43 am »

They can't do anything about mash pH.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 08:48:17 am »
There are many unspecified parameters. Mash type, mash temperature, mash thickness, fermentation temperature, pitch rate, oxygenation levels, and so on. Those are for the Brewer to figure out for the beer on her/his system with the process used. pH is just another one that the Brewer has to figure out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 09:12:46 am »

Aren't these guidelines where most brewers go to get parameters for the beers they brew such that they fit into a specific category?  Or do most brewers just make a beer and then decide which category to place it in?

The guidelines describe the finished beer, not the process to get there.  The pH, indeed the entire recipe, can be whatever you want as long as the finished beer fits the guideline.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

hawkeye

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 09:21:06 am »
Ok, thanks guys.  I've always thought about it backwards where the BJCP guide was a recipe guide and a "beer judging" guide.

hawkeye

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 09:23:15 am »

They can't do anything about mash pH.

Perhaps they could adjust boil pH or does that pretty much fall into a standard range also.