Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Benefits of controlling fermentation temperature  (Read 6856 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Benefits of controlling fermentation temperature
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 09:37:41 am »
I agree that temp is number one, but a close second is pH, so if you can monitor pH, and adjust as necessary, your beers will improve greatly.

I realize that depending on your water this is more important for some people than others, but I brewed for 10-12 years and won a lot of ribbons before I ever looked at pH.

agree on water dependency- i was doomed with my well water and didn't know it until I got immersed in water management and PH.
would you say looking at PH was beneficial for you in some ways, while perhaps not in other ways?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 09:39:00 am »
And in another vein, years ago some would claim that "sanitation" was the #1 concern in regards to yeast. Hopefully, that mistaken notion has been dispelled by now. That being said, it's good to keep a spray bottle of starsan around and use it when needed.  ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 09:42:24 am »
agree on water dependency- i was doomed with my well water and didn't know it until I got immersed in water management and PH.
would you say looking at PH was beneficial for you in some ways, while perhaps not in other ways?

I'm on a well, also, but the water is incredibly good.  I'd say pH was important for the "fringe" beers, the really light (pils, tripel) or really dark (porter, stout) beers.  But for probably 80% of the beers I make, the pH naturally falls right where it needs to be.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 09:44:18 am »
I'd say in regards to pH that it's an issue to some and not others. Sometimes pH is the unknown-unknown problem. But if a brewer has great water in the first place they may never have to solve the pH problem(s) others encounter.

edit: Point is don't go looking for a problem and buy a meter.

Moved across town and it affected my brewing water. Now I tailor it and still don't use a meter.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:49:02 am by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 09:48:10 am »
I'd say in regards to pH that it's an issue to some and not others. Sometimes pH is the unknown-unknown problem. But if a brewer has great water in the first place they may never have to solve the pH problem(s) others encounter.

Moved across town and it affected my brewing water.

one exception outside of water I know of from experience- more acidic base malt (5.4 vs 5.7-8) can also throw a wrench in there. 
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline martinj

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 11:25:30 am »

edit: Point is don't go looking for a problem and buy a meter.

Moved across town and it affected my brewing water. Now I tailor it and still don't use a meter.

May I assume you've had your water tested and know what your profile is?
Marty

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 12:55:04 pm »
Ah the water question...

I have three types of water available that all vary during the seasons: City well water, softened water and reverse osmosis. Basically I've settled on what works for me and no longer worry or obsess about my pH. I suppose an updated Ward report might be helpful as the area is importing some of the water now.

We have high bicarbonate alkaline water suitable for brewing Brown ales and darker and simply practice dilution when needed.