Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2016 First Timer Questions  (Read 4270 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: NHC 2016 First Timer Questions
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 06:04:23 am »
Popular ones also include well known Brewers, guys like Strong, Mosher, and Daniels, and certain mead talks.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 06:57:05 am »
Look over the seminars and find the ones that you have a strong interest in.  Those are the not miss ones.

In Grand Rapids, I went to the post-fermentation cider seminar and it was excellent.  But I have a huge interest in cider and where someone who is casual might find the information useful, it was one of the best seminars I've been to.

I don't think Michael Fairbrother is doing a stand alone seminar this year (just part of the mead panel), but those are always great because he serves some great meads.

Have fun at your first conference.  After, you'll be counting the days until the next one.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 07:17:23 am »
Popular ones also include well known Brewers, guys like Strong, Mosher, and Daniels, and certain mead talks.

Maybe it's just me, but Randy and Ray's seminars last year were just OK.  Maybe it was the size of the room.  Randy did practically the exact same presentation at Dixie Cup in October and it seemed a little more lively.

That being said, skip any talk about mead from either Schramm or Fairbrother.  More for me that way.  ;)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 09:43:31 am »

Bah....boring old farts....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 11:05:08 pm »
In addition to what was said above:

Look for the mead, cider, wood aging, and sour talks.  Always new cutting edge stuff going on in these.

Look for LAGER sessions.  This is where you learn precision.

Look for judging / palate training type seminars, where you can begin to learn to evaluate the flavor and aroma of your own beers.

Look for off the wall fun stuff, like Justin Crossley's "How NOT to brew" a few years ago (in Philly?)  I almost had an aneurysm I was laughing so hard.

Some of the most popular seminars are repeated so if you miss it on Thursday, you can see it on Friday or Saturday.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 08:42:27 am »
Drew and I are doing seminars Thur. and Sat. from 2-3 PM.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wheel3er

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 02:43:32 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  We are struggling because the reality is we want to take see everything.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 02:52:55 am »
Drew and I are doing seminars Thur. and Sat. from 2-3 PM.

Your seminars always conflict with another one I really want to see. Glad you're doing two shows.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison