Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Lager  (Read 6330 times)

Offline witster

• 1st Kit
Re: First Lager
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2016, 01:26:10 pm »
jumpin' in the deep end I see...      personally I'd say go a little safer and do an american light lager...   
throw a little dry yeast into about a liter starter...   secondary/lager at 45-50 instead of super low german helles types of temps...    but you sound like you wanna jump in the deep end of the pool...   

good munich pale malt or pils malt...
do a helles...    use distilled water with a little gypsum(not much at all needed)...   
use tettnanger only, and don't over-hop it.. 
be sure to change temps slowly...    be sure to maintain lagering temps consistently..   

be wary of lagering temps and carbonation...   tricky stuff there...   you go over 3 weeks at 40 or below and you'll need to pitch some slurry to carb the bottles...   

even if you keep the grain bill simple...  a german lager is the hardest beer to nail imo...  you might consider priming with dme instead of dextrose, and be prepared to allow 4-5 weeks to condition to boot...

that's a 8 week labor of love you're talking about...   

what are you lagering in...?   dedicated fridge...   cold space...    cold water? ?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: First Lager
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2016, 01:43:32 pm »
jumpin' in the deep end I see...      personally I'd say go a little safer and do an american light lager...   
throw a little dry yeast into about a liter starter...   secondary/lager at 45-50 instead of super low german helles types of temps...    but you sound like you wanna jump in the deep end of the pool...   

good munich pale malt or pils malt...
do a helles...    use distilled water with a little gypsum(not much at all needed)...   
use tettnanger only, and don't over-hop it.. 
be sure to change temps slowly...    be sure to maintain lagering temps consistently..   

be wary of lagering temps and carbonation...   tricky stuff there...   you go over 3 weeks at 40 or below and you'll need to pitch some slurry to carb the bottles...   

even if you keep the grain bill simple...  a german lager is the hardest beer to nail imo...  you might consider priming with dme instead of dextrose, and be prepared to allow 4-5 weeks to condition to boot...

that's a 8 week labor of love you're talking about...   

what are you lagering in...?   dedicated fridge...   cold space...    cold water? ?
I'm kegging and will be lagering in a fridge.
Thanks everyone for the commercial example suggestions. I live in a small town but when I get a chance I'll get out to Yankee Spirits I'll hit up their german section.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.