Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boring 92 beer selection  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Boring 92 beer selection
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 08:22:01 am »
Had dinner at a place on 101 with, shocker, 101 taps. 28 IPAs. I had a burger made with beef and brat and there wasn't a decent lager to be enjoyed with it. Best they had was Krambacher.

Was at Whole Foods looking for beer to go with Salmon. Again, very poor lager selection and those there were mostly Vienna style.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 09:04:35 am »

I'm becoming convinced that the average craft beer drinker is really not that discerning. The average homebrewer, however...

THIS right here. I've been thinking this for quite some time. So many of the "craft beer" bars have nothing but IPAs and Imperial stouts on tap, nothing but super high abv stuff. It's annoying. There's a place called El Bait Shop in Des Moines that has over 100 taps and I looked at the menu for 10 minutes, like Eric, couldn't find a damn thing I wanted. The IPA and stout list was HUGE, there were no lagers, no wheat beers, a few sours (which I don't drink). It was ridiculous. Plus, if they had something like Chimay it would be like $9 a pour. Screw that.
I mean, seriously, how much IPA can one take? There's more to beer than hops.
A different time, a different perspective. There have been times I was not impressed by other places with high ratings.

El Bait Shop was a standout on a road trip to CO/UT/AZ/NM. We had a hotel in walking distance, had beer and bar food, and were saying that gee it was affordable. We were just in Chicago last weekend, that was sticker shock. We were happy with the selection at El Bait Shop, found what we wanted, and tried new beers from the center of the nation that we don't get, and I think I started with a lager. Just looked at the online list, there seems to be enough lagers on the list that I could drink my fill in a night. Heck, I would drink all 4 of the Schell's Bocks. The lines were all clean, and the server was knowledgable and helpful. For that many beers we are impressed.

The other standout was the stop at Le Cumbre in Duke City. They are know for the IPAs and Stouts. We had the taproom only Pilsner and Helles, which were darned good. Did buy some IPA and Stout to go.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 11:05:54 am »

My bride and I went to dinner last night to a local restaurant/bar that boasts 18 taps.  There was one Pilsner, two winter warmers, three pale ales... and all the rest were IPAs.

I love IPAs - I drink more IPAs than anything else, but wow.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 12:08:17 pm »

My bride and I went to dinner last night to a local restaurant/bar that boasts 18 taps.  There was one Pilsner, two winter warmers, three pale ales... and all the rest were IPAs.

I love IPAs - I drink more IPAs than anything else, but wow.
I can relate to that. I'm a huge hophead myself. Back in the day, whenever I discovered a new brewery the first thing I wanted to try was their IPA. Now I rarely try a new commercial IPA, and when I check out a new brewery I'm drawn to anything that's not an IPA.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 12:15:39 pm »
A tap house at a good brewery is the best way to go. They won't have 90 or even 30 beers, but, they will have beer made by someone who loves beer.

This. Any day.  A cozy bar with 10 taps, all made in house and maybe one guest tap (or cider).  They will usually not double up too many time.  A pale, an IPA, a red/amber, a stout, some english style like ESB and then maybe (especially here in Portland) a couple high end versions of the previous i.e. Imperial Stout, Double IPA.   
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 02:55:10 pm »

I'm becoming convinced that the average craft beer drinker is really not that discerning. The average homebrewer, however...

THIS right here. I've been thinking this for quite some time. So many of the "craft beer" bars have nothing but IPAs and Imperial stouts on tap, nothing but super high abv stuff. It's annoying. There's a place called El Bait Shop in Des Moines that has over 100 taps and I looked at the menu for 10 minutes, like Eric, couldn't find a damn thing I wanted. The IPA and stout list was HUGE, there were no lagers, no wheat beers, a few sours (which I don't drink). It was ridiculous. Plus, if they had something like Chimay it would be like $9 a pour. Screw that.
A different time, a different perspective. There have been times I was not impressed by other places with high ratings.

El Bait Shop was a standout on a road trip to CO/UT/AZ/NM. We had a hotel in walking distance, had beer and bar food, and were saying that gee it was affordable. We were just in Chicago last weekend, that was sticker shock. We were happy with the selection at El Bait Shop, found what we wanted, and tried new beers from the center of the nation that we don't get, and I think I started with a lager. Just looked at the online list, there seems to be enough lagers on the list that I could drink my fill in a night. Heck, I would drink all 4 of the Schell's Bocks. The lines were all clean, and the server was knowledgable and helpful. For that many beers we are impressed.

The other standout was the stop at Le Cumbre in Duke City. They are know for the IPAs and Stouts. We had the taproom only Pilsner and Helles, which were darned good. Did buy some IPA and Stout to go.

When I was there, the server didn't know sh*t, there were hardly any lagers or wheat beers. It was summer, I didn't want a huge f*cking stout or IPA. Just not my place. Plus the beers were crazy expensive. Hessen Haus is THE place to go in Des Moines for me. Great place.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to go anywhere for beer unless it's a brewery.
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 03:08:55 pm »

When I was there, the server didn't know sh*t, there were hardly any lagers or wheat beers. It was summer, I didn't want a huge f*cking stout or IPA. Just not my place. Plus the beers were crazy expensive. Hessen Haus is THE place to go in Des Moines for me. Great place.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to go anywhere for beer unless it's a brewery.
I will give Hessen House a try. Used to live in Hesse, so the name has some nostalgia.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 03:29:38 pm »
All I want is half decent lagers. FW 805 is available in cans and draft most places, but it would be nice to have a selection.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 03:47:59 pm »
More is not necessarily better. 92 taps might bring people in who feel like they must be able to find something they like. People who are not well versed in craft beer they are likely to be overwhelmed, shrug and order whatever name is most familiar. Craft beer snobs expect 92 taps to carry enough diversity to find something interesting. Then we end up with the same beer selection available in the grocery store. It's not that those beers are bad but I wonder why I am paying a premium for the same beers at a fungible bar experience. I also know there is no way they are turning over 92 taps with regularity so the freshness of the beer is questionable. If you're carrying 30 IPAs that's a problem.

Give me a far smaller selection with a well curated tap wall. It doesn't have to be exotic or hyped up beers but just a good mix that includes a range of styles and includes some quality local options. I would rather give my money to a local business that appreciates craft beer like I do and really cares about my experience over a shotgun approach.

I can't recall the name of it off the top of my head but there's a place in Raleigh North Carolina that just opened up with 300 taps.  I believe they have three levels, the top level being all NC local beers, the middle like Belgians and Sours or something like that and then the bottom level being all the big name nationwide distributed stuff, so supposedly something for everyone.  I didn't get the chance to go there while I was visiting the East Coast over Christmas but the review I kept reading over and over and over on Yelp and Google was that all that beer was going to go sour and funky because there's no way they were turning it over fast enough.  They've have to be blowing 100 kegs a night.  I appreciate the focus on local but the rest just seems like overkill.  On the one hand I wanted to try it out, but after reading the reviews I wasn't sure it'd  be worth it. 

Another major complaint was the waitstaff had no clue what was on the taplist.
I was there in December.  The difficulty was the menu - I had to do it on-line on my phone because they had no up to date paper.  But they organized it by floor, so you had to look through a bunch of categories that were on tap on the first floor, then the same categories on the second floor menu, then the third to see what to order.  I have this thing about 1. ordering the best thing on the menu or 2. ordering the perfect beer for the occasion/food/whatever, so I have to look at all the beers on the menu before deciding.  They made this difficult.
I did have two beers that evening that were good, both local, but it took a while.
I wish they would have the menu organized by "beers you can get at the grocery store", "local beers", "stuff you have always wanted to try" or something like that.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 12:27:25 pm »
All I want is half decent lagers. FW 805 is available in cans and draft most places, but it would be nice to have a selection.
Man, me too. There's no half decent lagers available in bars, it's sad. And I'm so damn tired of paying more than $5 a pint. It's just too much. But there are random spots with sub-$5 pints. Last night I was drinking Ranger IPA for $3 a pint. Thas what I'm talkin' 'bout!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:29:06 pm by beersk »
Jesse