Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st American Stout Recipe Help  (Read 4212 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: 1st American Stout Recipe Help
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2016, 11:21:22 am »
If you're using mostly extract with a little specialty malt, you generally don't need to add any brewing salts at all such as gypsum -- just use distilled water or soft tap water.  I'd skip the gypsum if I were you.  It's only for flavor, and in this case, you really don't need it.  In an IPA or ESB then it would make more sense.

Like I said before, if you're not mashing base malt (2-row or pale malt or Maris Otter or pilsner malt), then just a simple 5-10 minutes steeping time is plenty.  Otherwise, steep any style at 150 F for 30-40 minutes and you should be happy.  It really is as simple as that!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 12:00:13 pm »
thank you for the info. I do have a problem with hoppiness not totally coming because of my water(iron in my water and lil high ph). Thanks for the help and in a month or so I'll tell you how it came out!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:01:47 pm by golfgod04 »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 12:38:48 pm »
I'd suggest you switch to distilled water if you know you have iron and high alkalinity -- neither is very good in beer.  In that case, addition of gypsum is like putting a Band-Aid on a bullet wound.  Find some softer water and your taste buds will thank you for it.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2016, 12:49:53 pm »
ive never had a beer come out bad cause of the water (over 16 batches) but sometimes the hoppiness doesnt stand out but id figure id give that a try one of these times. Thanks for the tips and ill let ya know how the beer comes out in a month!