Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pre-Hopped malt extract water adjustment  (Read 1533 times)

hawkeye

Pre-Hopped malt extract water adjustment
« on: February 27, 2016, 07:29:28 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for adjusting water for the pre-hopped malt extract tins (Mr. Beer, Coopers, Muntons, Briess, etc...)?  Should be the same as un-hopped malt extract?

I usually use distilled water and a water calculator to adjust for calcium/chloride/sulfate/magnesium.

Just did a Mr. Beer - Diablo IPA and adjusted the sulfate to 75ppm, chloride to 25ppm, magnesium to 8ppm and Calcium to 34ppm.  Should turn out very well.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Pre-Hopped malt extract water adjustment
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 09:57:42 pm »
How do you know what you are adjusting to? Extracts already contain all the minerals from the water they were originally brewed with. Unless you know the exact amount that is already present in the extract, you are flying blind.

The only time I add any minerals to an extract batch is when I brew hoppy beers that can benefit from a boost in sulfate. I add 1/2 tsp of gypsum to a 3 gallon batch in those cases. Otherwise, it's not worth messing around with.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:02:35 am »
As was said, making water adjustments on extract beer is virtually impossible since you most likely don't know the minerals present in the extract you are using. You are better off just sticking to distilled or RO water and maybe a little gypsum for hoppy beers or perhaps a smidge of calcium carbonate for darker brews.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:46:32 am »
Yes, water adjustments are tricky with extract since you don't know what you are starting with. However, the most important thing you can do for extract brewing is to assure that the water has very little alkalinity. Starting with RO or distilled water is highly desirable, but you can acidify your tap water to reduce alkalinity as long as that tap water isn't very mineralized.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

hawkeye

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 06:11:02 am »
Agreed, totally flying blind, but not sure how else to experiment with it.  Haven't made a bad batch so far.

Some of the kits are very bland, IMHO, without a good starting water.