Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing - Is there a noticeable difference between conducting a hop  (Read 2079 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Finally delivered the writeup - a day late - boo me. But here you guys go - read through and tell us what you think. Is this something worth doing?

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-hop-whirlpool-does-steeping-lower-temperature-improve-final-hop
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Thanks for doing this, Drew. I think (like most things here) I need to try a steep @ 120F and compare for myself. Kudos !
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Cool beans!

My idea of 120F whirlpool vs dryhop is not that I think they would be a 1:1 trade and identical results. The idea is that a 120F aroma addition, then tell fined crystal clear, may end up with an overall prettier beer that has acceptable aroma, when compared to a dry hopped hazy version. It would be entirely a hedonistic side by side overall comparison.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Jim, modified the statement about your gals at the end of the writeup.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Interesting stuff. In the past, I experimented with flameout vs <180F for the whilrpool addition and found the <180F left a much better, bolder aroma. I had never even considered 170F vs 120F. My next thought is to try both in an IPA. Maybe something like FWH/60/5/170F for 20 mins/120F for 20 mins.

I am planning a "Blonde IPA" in the near future (inspired by Pfriem).

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
I just did my own similar experiment, but I chose a hop stand at 140* because I knew that the oil that boils at the lowest temperature (myrcene), does so at 145*.  Adding weight to this is the fact that myrcene is the oil that has the flavors that are the most popular with me, and as far as I can gather, the rest of the brewing / beer consuming public.

So that is why I chose 140*.  I don't know yet how it will turn out, because today is dry-hop day.  I'll report back when the beer is done.  I also did not do a control batch.  So I guess it wasn't much of an experiment other than to decide if I like the result or not.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
I just did my own similar experiment, but I chose a hop stand at 140* because I knew that the oil that boils at the lowest temperature (myrcene), does so at 145*.  Adding weight to this is the fact that myrcene is the oil that has the flavors that are the most popular with me, and as far as I can gather, the rest of the brewing / beer consuming public.

So that is why I chose 140*.  I don't know yet how it will turn out, because today is dry-hop day.  I'll report back when the beer is done.  I also did not do a control batch.  So I guess it wasn't much of an experiment other than to decide if I like the result or not.

I may give that a shot too, Steve. Thanks.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

If you really want to assess the whirlpool effects, you might want to skip dry hopping.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
An excellent point Denny.  I want to make good beer more than I want to experiment I guess.  So I think the only context in which I can say my brew is an experiment is to say that I changed one variable, and I'll decide whether I like it or not.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
An excellent point Denny.  I want to make good beer more than I want to experiment I guess.  So I think the only context in which I can say my brew is an experiment is to say that I changed one variable, and I'll decide whether I like it or not.

Totally understandable!  Although you may want to sample some before dry hopping
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Steve, based on my most recent IPA, you can get excellent hop aroma from a cooler whirlpool addition. I haven't done a side by side vs. dry hops yet, but you may want to take a sample before dry hopping to see if it's what you're looking for.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer