Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: so refractometer and hydrometer. and FG info needed...  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Darry

• 1st Kit
so refractometer and hydrometer. and FG info needed...
« on: February 24, 2016, 07:56:12 pm »
OK so I got a nice Irish red ale going and it should be about time to rack into the keg...like tonite  ;D now about those SG readings... I usually do most of them with an atc refractometer but recently have been reading on the issues with the alcohol making another step necessary to get an accurate FG when using a refractometer.

So here's where I am and what I got.... OG on the batch into the fermenter was 1.055 @a volume of 5.5 gal,
72 deg... fermentation was brisk and finally completed today IMO( 3 days of very minimal activity in the airlock...10th day of fermentation) so I am ready to rack into the keg for the ageing  and take a FG of 1.027 with the refractometer... knowing that the alcohol is going to make this an invalid reading without correction do the hydrometer and get 1.012  FG.....which I would think is about right for it and Beer smith says it should be 1.013... did I hit the number?

So my question is can I do the OG with the atc refractometer and the FG with the hydrometer and be reasonably assured that my numbers are accurate? or do I need to do it with all Refractometer readings and correct or do them all with the hydrometer?

thanks

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
Re: so refractometer and hydrometer. and FG info needed...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 10:21:18 pm »
Man this is a terrible time for Sean Terrill's website to go down. All of this info is addressed brilliantly by him.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 08:08:00 am »
So my question is can I do the OG with the atc refractometer and the FG with the hydrometer and be reasonably assured that my numbers are accurate?

YUP!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 08:09:59 am »
curious-what was the yeast you used?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Darry

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 10:45:23 am »
Thanks for the feedback-

It was just regular Safale us-05

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 11:02:53 am »
So my question is can I do the OG with the atc refractometer and the FG with the hydrometer and be reasonably assured that my numbers are accurate?

YUP!

+2. It's what I do. I make sure though that each reads 1 in distilled water before using, to be sure my readings are accurate.
Jon H.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 02:31:49 pm »

YUP!

+2. It's what I do. I make sure though that each reads 1 in distilled water before using, to be sure my readings are accurate.

This for both.  My first handful of batches with the refractometer I didn't calibrate it, then finally did and realized it was pretty far off.  Now I calibrate before every use, even on the same day.  BTW I broke so many hydrometers I'm a refractometer only guy... and a clutz apparently.