Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CaraBrown  (Read 1532 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
CaraBrown
« on: February 11, 2016, 06:45:13 am »
Briess Carabrown? Anyone used it? I see the nb.com says it is heavy toasted malt, but very smooth.  Which sounds good in an American stout, since it has its sweetness, but finishing dry.  I thought about using around 6% in an American Stout.  But has anyone had anything to add with this malt? the good the bad the ugly?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: CaraBrown
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:07:31 am »
Haven't tried it but saw it when browsing Farmhouse last night. Could be good in a brown ale or a mild also.
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 01:06:59 pm »
I have used it small percentages (5% or so) in brown ales and milds before.  It is toasty with an underlying slight roast to it. Almost reminds me of a darker amber malt. I did not get much sweetness that I could percieve from it though.  It does add some nice depth to a darker ale.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:57:22 am »
Hmm, that sounds like it'd be good in black IPA as well.
Jesse

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 10:48:24 am »
Changing stout directions, I am looking into my first AG batch of Russian Imperial Stout with some cara-brown.  I am hoping the use of brown malt, or the caramelized brown malt, would really help carry the undertones of the chocolate and dark roasted coffee flavors.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline jthaworth

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 07:50:37 pm »
I have used 1 pound of this to make a Winter Porter.  It has imparted a very nice mild coffee flavor.  I will definitely use it again.