Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pale Ale hops - something different  (Read 4168 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Pale Ale hops - something different
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 05:00:46 pm »
Motueka is usually around 7% AA. Combos great with Sterling. I use that combo a lot in my hoppy lagers.

I've used Sterling several times, but not with Motueka. I need to try that in a lager. Like maybe a summery pils. Sounds good.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 06:36:26 pm »
Motueka is usually around 7% AA. Combos great with Sterling. I use that combo a lot in my hoppy lagers.

I've used Sterling several times, but not with Motueka. I need to try that in a lager. Like maybe a summery pils. Sounds good.
That's pretty much my go-to hoppy lager recipe. 5:1 Pils:Munich @1.052, 40 IBU at 60 minutes, then an ounce each at 170F and dry hops (3 gallon batch). Next time around I'll probably try the whirlpool at 120F with 3-4 ounces total, and skip the dry hop.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 06:55:59 pm »
That's pretty much my go-to hoppy lager recipe. 5:1 Pils:Munich @1.052, 40 IBU at 60 minutes, then an ounce each at 170F and dry hops (3 gallon batch). Next time around I'll probably try the whirlpool at 120F with 3-4 ounces total, and skip the dry hop.

Looks like a winner!  I had something pretty similar in mind.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 07:14:27 am »
I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet. Go for a single-hopped Equinox APA. Usually I'm not a fan of single hopped beers, but Equinox is complex enough that it will hold its own. I feel that it has a flavor profile that's all across the spectrum except for piney. Fruity, citrusy, resinous, and dank rolled all into one hop.

Another option is one of my favorite combos -Citra and galaxy in a 1:1 ratio.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 07:38:44 am »
I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet. Go for a single-hopped Equinox APA. Usually I'm not a fan of single hopped beers, but Equinox is complex enough that it will hold its own. I feel that it has a flavor profile that's all across the spectrum except for piney. Fruity, citrusy, resinous, and dank rolled all into one hop.

Agree with all of it, Frank.
Jon H.

Offline TheBeerBeacon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 01:44:14 pm »
What kind of hop character are you looking for?

Good question, I figured that was coming at some point!  Other than "different", I'd say "not piney"... bright, vibrant, citrus, floral.  40ish IBUs and a big big aroma.  Otherwise, I kind of just want to see what happens.  I did an IPA a ways back with a similar hop bill and the two brews just came out too similar.  I don't think I've ever used El Dorado or Lemon Drop, so I like where we're going with this.  Thanks!
Just use late hop additions including dry hopping. It's the alpha acids that are boiled for a long time at high temperatures that produce the bitterness you're looking to avoid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 09:55:02 pm »

THIS
I have a local brewery that has an IPA series that rotates single hops and Equinox was by far my favorite.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 07:37:54 am »
thanks so much for the input, everyone.  ended up going with el dorado and lemondrop.  looking forward to the finished product.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 03:48:50 pm »
Honestly, I like just about every oily hop as an aroma edition. Summit, Apollo, CTZ, Citra, Nelson Sauvin... My favorite hop profile in a pale ale that I have ever produced was a blend of Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, and Summit (3-2-1, I think). But I find Nelson and Simcoe too difficult to obtain cheaply, so I rarely use either.