Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Sour Brewing  (Read 2651 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: All Sour Brewing
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 05:27:34 am »
I really enjoy sours, but I have judged them a few times and some folks enter a flawed beer - not good.  I have a few that are in the rotation: a Flanders blend Solera project that is several years in the process now (blending old an new each year) and an annual Blackberry Brett Saison.  For me, the thing is that the underlying base beer must be good in order for the sour to be good.  One guy in my club is quite expert at sours and some of his Brett beers are truly a joy to drink.  The acid bombs that peel the enamel of your teeth - no thanks.  I made one Berliner Weisse that was so sour that I used it to back sour a Gose - a unique way to avoid kettle souring the Gose and to achieve the right level of lactic flavor, I also salted it at the same time to get what I wanted.

As to the OP - I cannot see why I would give up my favorites and go only sour.  Like others said, sours are great, but I like variety, too.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 05:37:04 am »
To me, sours are like barley wines. They are a treat that I enjoy once or twice a month. I brew a couple of batches if each a year and that is already more than I would consume even if I didn't try any commercial examples. Thankfully both are typically suitable for cellaring.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 10:41:23 am »
The vast majority of my brewing is sour/brett but I do brew some clean beers. I have a couple sets of equipment but tend to only use one and diligently clean it all. Bottling equipment gets bleach bombed days before bottling clean beers (and then sanitized immediately before bottling). No problems with that process.

Not sure I will ever completely give up on clean beers. It's a great way to explore ingredients and sometimes I'm not in the mood for horse blanket and acid.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 02:25:35 pm »
I really enjoy Sours and make one every couple of months. I could never just limit myself to "all sour" though because my BADD (Beer Attention Deficit Disorder) would not allow it.
Dan Chisholm

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 07:36:42 pm »
Not a fan of sours, but appreciate the talent and effort it takes to make them.