Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Altbier  (Read 9461 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: German Altbier
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2016, 01:06:33 pm »
100% pils distinguishable from 30%+ Munich maibock - probably.
100% pils distinguishable from 95% pils + 5% light Munich - no.

Agreed. The latter recipe would be a crappy one, though ;). Again, not trying to argue. We can perceive things differently which is perfectly fine.

Edit - I agree that Marshall should take this one on.
Jon H.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2016, 11:04:08 pm »
So an update with how this beer came out. After ramping the temperature for a few days I dropped the temp to about 34F to lager and went back to college and forgot about it for a couple weeks. After that I transferred it to the keg carbed it and let it sit another 2-3 weeks before I tapped it. I think the beer taste good one of my better beers. I think I could play with the hop combos a bit but overall very happy with this beer I only have one issue. When I was transferring to the keg it was crystal clear going through the tubing and I didn't pick hardly any trub. Once I tapped and poured it, it is super cloudy. I attributed it to the last bit of trub that could have settled out and chill haze. So I let it sit another week and tapped it again and it was cloudy still but less so. Is this chill haze or another issue? I have never had this issue before so I have no clue what it could be.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 08:03:03 am »
So an update with how this beer came out. After ramping the temperature for a few days I dropped the temp to about 34F to lager and went back to college and forgot about it for a couple weeks. After that I transferred it to the keg carbed it and let it sit another 2-3 weeks before I tapped it. I think the beer taste good one of my better beers. I think I could play with the hop combos a bit but overall very happy with this beer I only have one issue. When I was transferring to the keg it was crystal clear going through the tubing and I didn't pick hardly any trub. Once I tapped and poured it, it is super cloudy. I attributed it to the last bit of trub that could have settled out and chill haze. So I let it sit another week and tapped it again and it was cloudy still but less so. Is this chill haze or another issue? I have never had this issue before so I have no clue what it could be.

perhaps just a little more time and few more pours will do the trick.  any fining for this one?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2016, 08:09:39 am »
I used a Whirlfloc tablet in the boil and have pulled a few more glasses but with only little improvement. I think ill give it a week and see how its doing if no improvement occurs then no worries because its still a good beer IMO so ill kick the keg eventually.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2016, 08:25:51 am »
yeah- a little haze never killed anyone  ;)
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: