Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chestnuts  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Mdonuskanich

• 1st Kit
Chestnuts
« on: February 26, 2016, 01:23:10 am »
I use Beersmith but  you cannot pick out roasted chestnuts on it for a recipe. Do I treat it and use it like any other malt? I`m looking to use it in something like an American Brown Ale.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
Re: Chestnuts
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 07:17:42 am »
I've never used chestnuts in a beer, but the latest issue of Brew Your Own magazine (March-April 2016) has a recipe for a chestnut beer in an article about craft brewing in Italy.

As far as BeerSmith goes, you can add new ingredients to BeerSmith's data files. I think I'd likely add chestnuts as a miscellaneous flavor ingredient, like coffee, rather than a malt. But I haven't done any research to support this.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:37:35 am »
Apparently one can brew a GF beer exclusively with chestnuts so you definitely need to treat it as a starch source in the mash rather than a flavor adjunct. I'm not sure exactly what kind of conversion one gets out of chestnuts but that has to be addressed somewhere in GF resources online.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 12:57:22 pm »
Apparently one can brew a GF beer exclusively with chestnuts so you definitely need to treat it as a starch source in the mash rather than a flavor adjunct. I'm not sure exactly what kind of conversion one gets out of chestnuts but that has to be addressed somewhere in GF resources online.
Definitely as a starch adjunct, not a malt adjunct.  You could actually even just use chestnut flour (available in many grocery stores nowadays, as well as stores especializing in Italian foods) and include it in the mash.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline cspence

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 05:59:28 pm »
I've tried acorns in the mash, with a cereal mash, too, and didn't seem to get much extract out of them. The final beer did have good head retention and a chill haze, so maybe they contributed protein. But they may be quite different from chestnuts.

Clay

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 10:31:00 pm »
I have brewed 3 brown ales using roasted chestnuts.

The first experience was using them in a 1 gallon kit from Brooklyn Brew shop. They were added at the beginning of the boil. I don't have the exact recipe on hand to post and it was my second homebrew but I only noticed a slight nuttiness.

The second time I used them I did an Chestnut brown ale similar to my first with the kit using 12-16 roasted chestnuts for a 5 gallon recipe. This beer was nutty and roasty/bitter.

The third beer I added cocoa nibs to the same recipe as my second attempt which I feel helped slightly round out the flavor. Here is the recipe. The low IBU's paid off I believe because the cocoa nibs contributed some bitterness also.
Grain Bill:
   • 9.2lbs Irish Pale Malt
   • 1lbs Flaked Barley
   • 1lbs Crystal 60L
   • .57lbs Chocolate Malt 225L
Boil Additions:
   • 1oz Brewers Gold @ 60min
   • Roasted Chestnuts @ 60min
   • 1oz Organic Cocoa Nibs @ 5min
IBU:23.13
   • English Ale Yeast WLP002
Stats:
   • OG:1.062
   • FG:1.020
   • ABV:5.4%
Secondary Additions:
   • 1oz Cocoa nibs for 1 week following primary fermentation
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout