Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fat Head's Hop JuJu  (Read 7401 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Fat Head's Hop JuJu
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2016, 08:35:26 pm »
I just dont know how to explain it. Hops with that strong pine really turn me off.
 Edit: it's as strong a turn off as cilantro is to me....might be genetic disposition..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Fat Head's Hop JuJu
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2016, 08:40:19 pm »
I just dont know how to explain it. Hops with that strong pine really turn me off.
 Edit: it's as strong a turn off as cilantro is to me....might be genetic disposition..

We like what we like. I was just curious. Personally I'm not a big fan of nothing but fruity hops, ie.,most 'fruit bomb' beers. I like a little balance of hop character. All good.
Jon H.

Offline Adamg8504

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 06:55:30 am »
Had hop juju for first time tonight. I hate this beer. Cat piss hops and way too sweet.

I tend to agree with you although I won't go as far to say that I hate it.  I definitely got some cat piss aroma off of it.  Not quite sure why it's hyped so much.
Fermenting/Aging: IPA, Blonde ale, Spiced Holiday ale, Citra Hefeweizen, Cider, Munich Dunkel, Coffee Oatmeal Stout,

On Tap: Pale ale, RIS, Wee Heavy, Belgian Tripel

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 08:47:25 am »
Simcoe is very catpiss to me. It's catpiss without the strong ammonia in catpiss. I don't detect that from chinook, which I like quite a bit. But definitely not a fan of simcoe in general.

I have a bottle of Hop JuJu in the fridge to be consumed tonight. Looking forward to giving it a whirl.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 08:52:11 am »
Yep, so much catpiss.

It wasn't as bad as I feared because they did a good job wrapping other flavors around simcoe but I was a little bored by the predictable simcoe/citra presence that seems to be de rigueur for IPA these days.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 06:42:58 am »
Having lived in NE Ohio for a few years, my go-to DIPA has been GLBC Chillwave.  Love that beer, but...

Almost pains me to say it but Hop JuJu is besting it to me this year.  Chillwave just seems a tad bit sweeter to me this year, and it was already walking the line of 'too sweet'.  But FatHeads has delivered again.

(also, no catpiss for me!)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 07:02:35 am »
Having lived in NE Ohio for a few years, my go-to DIPA has been GLBC Chillwave.  Love that beer, but...

Almost pains me to say it but Hop JuJu is besting it to me this year.  Chillwave just seems a tad bit sweeter to me this year, and it was already walking the line of 'too sweet'.  But FatHeads has delivered again.

I've always thought chillwave was a bit sweet. It also is hopped with mosaic, which I'm not a fan of. To be honest, I think the best year for Chillwave was it's first year when it was still called Alchemy Hour.

I don't get the whole catpiss thing lol.
Frank

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 07:34:07 am »

I've always thought chillwave was a bit sweet. It also is hopped with mosaic, which I'm not a fan of. To be honest, I think the best year for Chillwave was it's first year when it was still called Alchemy Hour.

I don't get the whole catpiss thing lol.

Completely agree that Alchemy Hour was the best year.  And it was always sweet to me if the temperature was a bit too cold.  Warmed up a little (say 55-60*) and I'm in love. 

lol As a cat owner, I never want to experience catpiss in anything remotely related to food and beverage.

narvin

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 09:33:10 pm »
As a cat owner, I think the only unpleasant part of the piss is the ammonia.  Much like "horse blanket" from Brett, Simcoe hops capture only the pleasant part of this wonderful piece of nature  :)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2017, 04:25:09 am »
I thought I posted about this beer last year. Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Fat Heads Hop JuJu is my favorite IPA ever. There I said it. This year's is particularly DANK! Love it. It showcases an irresponsible amount of chinook, simcoe, Columbus, centennial, and Citra. The aroma reaches out of the glass, slaps you in the face, and calls you a B word. It's extremely dank up front and then the Citra dominates the back it leaving that beautiful Citra flavor lingering on your palette. It's a 9% beer that drinks like a 7% beer. I look forward to this beer every year. I was lucky and got it the day it was distributed this year on Tuesday. My bottles were bottled on 2/3/17. Uber fresh!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:29:24 am by fmader »
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2017, 06:09:43 am »
It showcases an irresponsible amount of chinook, simcoe, Columbus, centennial, and Citra. The aroma reaches out of the glass, slaps in the face, and calls you a B word.

Love the phrasing - sounds like something I'd post. Sounds tasty,Frank!
Jon H.