Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blue Moon clone brew  (Read 3977 times)

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
Blue Moon clone brew
« on: March 06, 2016, 08:20:55 am »
Just thought id post some pics from my brew process.

Wouldn't benefit the orange flavor to add some additional orange peel during the fermentation process?

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
Re: Blue Moon clone brew
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:27:25 am »
Well upon inspection this morning I had a blow out. The lid completely blew off my fermenting bucket. I didn't get a picture. I washed the lid and lock again, replaced it. Is this normal? I'm almost convinced my beer has to be contaminated now. It sat without a lid on it for at least a few hours. Has this happened to anyone else? How did the beer turn out, or was it ruined?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 10:05:25 am »
The good news is, you learned that you need a blowoff hose early in your brewing career! Instead of an airlock, run a sealed 3/4" hose from your fermenter into a basin or jar with enough water/sanitizer in it to cover the bottom over your hose. After primary fermentation is complete, proceed with your airlock.

It could be contaminated, or it's probably fine. That beer was obviously pumping out some CO2 if it blew the lid off your bucket. It very well could have prevented any contaminants from entering your beer.
Frank

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 11:13:01 am »
Yeah, that WYeast wit strain is a crazy top cropper.  After about 24-36 hrs it will blow right out of the fermenter and stay there for about 6-8 days.  You may want to consider swirling the fermenter in a few days to get that krausen to drop back into the beer so the yeast will continue to feed on those sugars. Be warned though, after swirling the krausen will come back with a vengeance so be prepared.

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 07:23:46 pm »
I had a batch recently that took 2 full weeks to drop the krausen.  It was a "better than blue moon" wit.  Kicked this week.  Will be brewing another wit with some ginger very soon!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 08:29:36 pm »
Try to get Indian coriander, next time, it really smells like oranges.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 08:47:13 pm »
Looked like a good brewday!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 06:54:55 am »
The good news is, you learned that you need a blowoff hose early in your brewing career!

Not for everybody or for every yeast strain. Especially in buckets which tend to have more headroom than carboy-type fermenters. There's a temptation to max capacity out, but try to leave more headspace to accommodate the krausen in any fermenter one uses and there's no need for a blowoff.

Less messy that way.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 01:00:22 pm »
Update.

Ok so I opened up the fermentor and gave it all a good stir to get the krausen and all mixed again. I replaced the lid and attached a hose into a glass jar instead of using the airlock. Someone mentioned after mixing it that it should start bubbling again like crazy. Now we wait