Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stainless steel piping / solder / threaded / welded  (Read 1893 times)

Offline larryb

• 1st Kit
Stainless steel piping / solder / threaded / welded
« on: February 28, 2016, 10:37:12 am »
Sorry if this issue has been beat to death - maybe I'm just not that good at searching the forums yet.

Doing some hard piping - looks like stainless steel ball valves/fittings are everywhere.  Also seems like a lot of folks hard pipe to copper & solder the fittings.

If you wanted to go stainless piping (and don't have a machine shop) can you solder stainless joints and fittings together?  Compression fittings?

Thanks in advance - new to the forum and still figuring things out...

Thanks for the replies - I've found a place that will cut/thread for a relatively reasonable price.  Gonna give that a shot... 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:58:06 am by larryb »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Stainless steel piping / solder / threaded / welded
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 01:57:24 pm »
The bottom line is that I don't know.  But I will pass one tidbit along even at the chance that it is obvious.  If soldering works on stainless, be sure to use silver solder.  Regular solder will leach lead into your beer.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline RES291QUE

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 03:47:05 pm »
Regular plumbing solder doesn't contain lead, that being said you should still use silver solder and acid flux for good joints with stainless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonex

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 11:10:50 pm »
 The choices for stainless pipe systems are weld,compression,or screw. Being a pipe fitter I have never seen stainless solder fittings. If you have a threading machine screw fittings and pipe would be the most economical. For the non professional compression fittings is by far the simplest method of joining stainless pipes and fittings.