Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Higher End Glassware Cautionary Tale  (Read 3891 times)

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
Re: Higher End Glassware Cautionary Tale
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 07:49:16 pm »
I have scratches on my Wusthof chefs knife because of those stupid green sponges. I about lit the sponges on fire when I figured it out.
Wusthof knives... sign of someone who appreciates crafting fine food as well as fine beer!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 07:52:34 am »
"Everyday" glasses just get put in the dishwasher, and they still lace very nicely.

According to the Riedel/Spiegelau guy that did the tasting where I got my glasses, the main issue with Spiegelau in the dishwasher is rinse agents in many detergents (or with their own reservoir) used today.  He said that it wasn't because of the lace/head retention, though.  He said the more focused bell taper intensified the aroma of the rinse agent just like it does the beer aromas.  That's why I hand wash mine.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 08:25:01 am »
I have scratches on my Wusthof chefs knife because of those stupid green sponges. I about lit the sponges on fire when I figured it out.
Hmmmn, methinks the anger over the sponges says more about Amanda's personality type than green sponges. ;)
I say this because I'm the opposite type. As long as something works the more banged up looking the better so I don't have to worry about it. I'm a wash the car once a year whether it needs it or not type. (the inside that is. Washing the outside of the car is just stupid.)
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 10:13:57 am »
Green pads

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah, those are the super abrasive ones. Throw them in the garage, that's about all they're good for.

No no! They are great on cast iron and salt blocks! But agree not on stainless or glass.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 05:24:22 pm »

My 10" Victorinox fell prey to the green side of a sponge. Now I use a soft toothbrush to clean my knives. Keeps the fingers safe as well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 06:52:47 pm »
What the hell has happened to us!???
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 05:38:59 am »

haha! Here's where I come in and admit that the majority of my glasses all go in dishwasher, except opnes that are printed or gold rimmed. I usually give them an extra rinse before use and don't seem to have major problems with foaming issues.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 09:40:20 am »

haha! Here's where I come in and admit that the majority of my glasses all go in dishwasher, except opnes that are printed or gold rimmed. I usually give them an extra rinse before use and don't seem to have major problems with foaming issues.

+1
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­